Do I need to move my broody hen?

We move our broodies for various reasons. First is for her security and to make her not feel nervous of the other hens. Second is to keep other hens from kicking her off the nest to lay more eggs. Thirdly, is so that I can monitor her drinking and eating without having to worry about other chickens stealing her food and water. Forth, it is for the protection of the babies and momma once they hatch. We have an isolation pen that we use, it has room for momma to move around in as well as keep food and water in. I let her out to go poo everyday and it has worked well for us.

Quote:
everything she said!!!
thumbsup.gif
-I did it for all those reasons-We put up a fenced wall in 1/3 of our coop-moved the brooder to a new run and house-I have to hand feed her everyday or she wont eat-and I have to almost force feed water-I hol dthe waterer up to her beak and drop some on her otherwise she'll stay in her coma~ we also put another layer of chicken wire on the bottom of the fencing-for the first 1 1/2 ft up so the other chickens cannot poke through and snag one!

Back
Top Bottom