Do I need to put them into their coop or can they sleep in their run?

Heidi-Hi

Hatching
9 Years
May 12, 2010
Hi
I am new to chicken keeping - 1week in with 4 hybrids (Magdalene - Rhode Rock, Henriette - Warren, Bluebelle - Bluebelle!, and Rosella - Black Star). I want to know if I need to physically put them into their coop if they don't go up themselves. At the moment they all seem to huddle together on the run floor. I don't like it - I am worried they will get cold, damp etc. They just don't seem to get it! I'm getting 2 eggs a day, so they know it is safe up there, (I suppose...) Any thoughts would be welcome, thank you.

When I first get chickens or put chicks outside because they're feathered and old enough, I lock them in the coop for at least a week. That "imprints" that this is "our" place to stay.

Then, when you let them out into the run, they usually go back inside at dusk.

It not, then pick them up and put them in the coop at night. After a while, they'll beat you to it, IF you don't try to put them in it too early.

I have to do this with my birds too, at first i had to put them all in one by one .. Now i just put one of them in and the rest follow (by rest i mean the other 2 ) As i have just added some new ones i have to put the new ones in myself after the others have gone in..hopefully these will learn soon enough

However if it gets dark and im not around to do this, they do go in by themselves ..I like to make sure they are inand locked up safe at the same time each night so I try not to leave them to go in alone

When I picked up my 18 week old RIR, I kept them in the coop for 2 days, that was enough. They would wait untill the last bit of light before they would go in for bed.
Just wait untill it's just starting to get dark and you'll see they go in there.
Even my 8 week Plymouth Rocks did that. They want to be inside when it's dark outside.

Last edited:
My 8 week old barred rocks had to be put in when I moved them to their tractor for about a week. Then 1 went in. Then 2....after about a week and a half they are all in at night. Doesn't take long. I'd definately put them in.

Chickens always return to where their food and water is at that is why it is also important to keep their food and water inside the coop. Ypu can also feed them right before dark they are sure to come running.

I think my chickens have been reading this thread and decided to call me a liar ..Today I put one hen in .. another jumped up to follow, I turned round to guide the others in and the 2 already in jumped back out again ..4 times this happened ... In the end i had to block the pop hole in between throwing them all in ...

I wouldnt of minded but the run stinks its muddy and i got covered trying to catch them ...

O the joys of chickens

Yip, it is head scratching. Last night they went to bed no problem, but the night before they all huddled together in a spot where I couldn't get to them, and slept in the run all night! I don't know...

Back
Top Bottom