Do I need to quarantine fowl pox?

Dondo

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 11, 2010
I have an Buff Orpington hen with what I believe to be dry fowl pox, after looking at numbers of pictures online. I currently have her quarantined in a cage in the hen house which is covered with 1/4" wire so that any of the other birds cannot get to her. Is this enough of a quarantine, do I need to move her completely out of any kind of airborne contact with the other hens, or because she already exhibited the symptoms (warts along the top of her beak, and a dark streak down one side of the beak), when I put her up, are the other birds in my flock possibly infected. Understanding that it is primarily a mosquito borne disease, does anyone know if there is there a chance for airborne transmission? If not, is there a reason why I can't just let her back out into the flock. She really has issues with being in this cage (a normal sized transfer cage). Thanks in advance. Don

Airborne transmission IS mosquitos and sometimes other biting insects. I'd let the skeeters spread the virus, then your birds will be immune to that particular strain. Your other choice is to vaccinate uninfected birds for fowl pox. The vaccine is ineffective against other types of pox though ie pigeon pox, canary pox etc...
I forgot to add that keeping her quarantined is up to you. Scabs are normally formed during a case of dry pox and are very infective. They eventually fall onto the ground. IF eaten by another chicken, wet pox can occur....not good. You can put black shoe polish or iodine on the scabs when they form to help dry them up quicker. Be careful not to get iodine in the eyes.

Last edited:
Georgia Dawg hmmmm? Gamecock fan here outside Columbia.
Thanks for the reply. I guess I'll keep her locked up while I apply the iodine or polish. I don't need this moving turning into wet pox and moving around the flock. They are too old for the vaccination regimen.
Regards,
Don

Back
Top Bottom