Do I need to remove my broody hen from the flock?

stephhassler

Songster
10 Years
Jan 30, 2009
Eastern Iowa
I have one bantam broody hen - don't know the breed, she was given to me. My other girls are all leghorns and none seem the least bit interested in hatching eggs. However, my little bantam tries to hoard all the eggs and seems very broody. I have to kick her out of the nest box so she'll go eat. I have no rooster, so she is wasting her time on the leghorn eggs. That being said, I'm thinking about putting her to work hatching some fertlized eggs this spring. If I use her, does she need to be taken out of the coop and put somewhere private? Or can I just leave her in the coop with the other hens. Also, when the eggs hatch, do I take the babies and raise them, or let her do it. And if I let her do it, what will she feed them? Sorry, the only way I've ever done this is day old chicks in the mail. I'd like to let her do the work, but I'm just not sure how to go about it. Thanks.

I have a broody who just hatched 10 chicks last week. She has stayed in the coop with the others. The door is open in the morning and the others go out and free range. She's free to take the babies out when she wants. She shows the where the food is and even takes pieces and tosses at them. She's a black australorp, 2 of her babies are Mille fleur d'uccles (banties). I put a small feeder with starter crumbles next to her nest box and everyone else leaves it alone.

My vote is to let nature take it's course.

Back
Top Bottom