Do I need to separate this rooster? (HELP)

There are a number of dual purpose heritage breeds that are worth having, depending on your goals and who you like to see at your coop!
Is this an adult rooster, or a cockerel? If he's been around chicks, he might be fine with them is a couple of weeks, after living next to them. When they all free range is a good time to let them out together, and see how it goes. An adult rooster, with previous flock experience, should be good with the youngsters. A randy cockerel might not be so polite! Ask the breeder about all this.
Your plan to raise barnyard mixes might or might not work out well, who knows? It's a start, and over time, plans can change...
Mary

There are a number of dual purpose heritage breeds that are worth having, depending on your goals and who you like to see at your coop!
Is this an adult rooster, or a cockerel? If he's been around chicks, he might be fine with them is a couple of weeks, after living next to them. When they all free range is a good time to let them out together, and see how it goes. An adult rooster, with previous flock experience, should be good with the youngsters. A randy cockerel might not be so polite! Ask the breeder about all this.
Your plan to raise barnyard mixes might or might not work out well, who knows? It's a start, and over time, plans can change...
Mary
Thank you! This helps a lot. Unfortunately he is an adult rooster. I have him where he can see the hens and the hens all like to hang around his coop so hopefully that will help.

The rooster is a fairly large Maran, and the hens are 10-15 week old Wyandottes.

Are those breeds the same meat quality as Cornish X or Ranger meat birds. No, they are not. As breeds go they are good dual purpose meat birds. Some people seem to have the idea that every Wyandotte in the world is exactly like every other Wyandotte. Not even close. A lot depends on what the person selecting which birds choose to emphasize. Some flocks of Wyandottes, Marans, or any other dual purpose breed make really good dual purpose meat birds. Some make really good laying flocks. Some aren't great at either. Very few are great at both.

the rooster has mostly been living free range around other roosters his whole life and has not had too much experience being in an actual flock.

I personally would not worry about that. Some behaviors can be learned but from what I've seen what you are talking about is practically all instinctive. My first flock were all raised together from baby chicks from a hatchery. The girls and the boys all instinctively acted like chickens.

So my question is, how long, and is it even necessary?

How old is he? As said above, an immature cockerel can behave quite differently than a mature rooster. And your pullets are still immature themselves. In my opinion the girls have a part to play in flock dynamics. There ae a lot of unknowns here. Some immature cockerels aren't that bad, most mature roosters are OK in your situation. But you never know for sure.

My suggestion is that after they learn where home is try letting them all together when you can be around to observe. You may be golden, I think there is a pretty good chance of that even if he is still kind of immature. If you are not happy with what you see, isolate the boy for a while. That might give the boy a chance to grow up if that is the problem, but it also gives the girls a chance to mature. Once they start laying I think your odds of total success are really good. I think they are pretty good anyway.

I see you answered the age question while I was typing. To me that means your odds of good things are really good from the start.

The rooster is a fairly large Maran, and the hens are 10-15 week old Wyandottes.

Are those breeds the same meat quality as Cornish X or Ranger meat birds. No, they are not. As breeds go they are good dual purpose meat birds. Some people seem to have the idea that every Wyandotte in the world is exactly like every other Wyandotte. Not even close. A lot depends on what the person selecting which birds choose to emphasize. Some flocks of Wyandottes, Marans, or any other dual purpose breed make really good dual purpose meat birds. Some make really good laying flocks. Some aren't great at either. Very few are great at both.

the rooster has mostly been living free range around other roosters his whole life and has not had too much experience being in an actual flock.

I personally would not worry about that. Some behaviors can be learned but from what I've seen what you are talking about is practically all instinctive. My first flock were all raised together from baby chicks from a hatchery. The girls and the boys all instinctively acted like chickens.

So my question is, how long, and is it even necessary?

How old is he? As said above, an immature cockerel can behave quite differently than a mature rooster. And your pullets are still immature themselves. In my opinion the girls have a part to play in flock dynamics. There ae a lot of unknowns here. Some immature cockerels aren't that bad, most mature roosters are OK in your situation. But you never know for sure.

My suggestion is that after they learn where home is try letting them all together when you can be around to observe. You may be golden, I think there is a pretty good chance of that even if he is still kind of immature. If you are not happy with what you see, isolate the boy for a while. That might give the boy a chance to grow up if that is the problem, but it also gives the girls a chance to mature. Once they start laying I think your odds of total success are really good. I think they are pretty good anyway.

I see you answered the age question while I was typing. To me that means your odds of good things are really good from the start.
Thank you! This is a lot of help. Also, the rooster is fully mature. I believe he is over a year old.

Back
Top Bottom