Do I need to separate this rooster? (HELP)

Dec 1, 2020
Western Washington
Hello!
I just got a rooster and four hens yesterday to begin a flock of meat chickens. The rooster is a fairly large Maran, and the hens are 10-15 week old Wyandottes. Since I just got them they are not allowed outside the coop until they learn it is their new home. However, the rooster has mostly been living free range around other roosters his whole life and has not had too much experience being in an actual flock. The breeder told me I should have him separated from the hens for a little bit, but let him see them so he adjusts. So my question is, how long, and is it even necessary? I don't want him to harm the hens and one of them is pretty small. Currently I have him in a rabbit hutch (it was all I could find in such short time). He is doing okay in there but I don't like keeping him in such a small space. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thank you!

Hello!
I just got a rooster and four hens yesterday to begin a flock of meat chickens. The rooster is a fairly large Maran, and the hens are 10-15 week old Wyandottes. Since I just got them they are not allowed outside the coop until they learn it is their new home. However, the rooster has mostly been living free range around other roosters his whole life and has not had too much experience being in an actual flock. The breeder told me I should have him separated from the hens for a little bit, but let him see them so he adjusts. So my question is, how long, and is it even necessary? I don't want him to harm the hens and one of them is pretty small. Currently I have him in a rabbit hutch (it was all I could find in such short time). He is doing okay in there but I don't like keeping him in such a small space. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thank you!
Um...idk. If he came with them, then..also..
Those aren’t good meat breeds.

I guess it depends on your goals. You don't HAVE to have a roo, also the breeds you mentioned are not really ideal meat birds if that is your end goal. The hens are a decent dual purpose bird but if your main goal is meat you may want to reconsider what you have.

Are you looking to breed to produce meat birds or just raise these to meat size?

I guess it depends on your goals. You don't HAVE to have a roo, also the breeds you mentioned are not really ideal meat birds if that is your end goal. The hens are a decent dual purpose bird but if your main goal is meat you may want to reconsider what you have.

Are you looking to breed to produce meat birds or just raise these to meat size?
meat size

and I do want them as a dual purpose bird, sorry I should have been a little more specific

Also does anyone have better suggestions for meat birds. I'm new to this and landed on breeding a few breeds together, Marans because they grow fast and wyandottes for their size. Later I was going to add in orpington and maybe some other large breed chicken.

Also does anyone have better suggestions for meat birds. I'm new to this and landed on breeding a few breeds together, Marans because they grow fast and wyandottes for their size. Later I was going to add in orpington and maybe some other large breed chicken.
Naked Necks get large and are easier to pluck, Cornish bantams are a nice size and grow reasonably fast, a lot of people like dorkings

Back
Top Bottom