do I need to vaccinate

kirkster5

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 7, 2008
I just bought 4 new chicks from a breeder that does not vacinate for mareks disease. My other 3 girls were. Should I (gulp) get the vacine from my feed store and do it myself?If so How? They are about 2 months old.

I may be wrong, but I think you need to vaccinate earlier if you are going to do it. If your chicks are 2 months old and already outside, they likely would have showed Mareks if they are going to get it.

They are still inside and my understanding was that maerks was spread by other birds,Mosquitos etc. Am I wrong?

Mareks is not spread by mosquitos, etc. The Mareks virus exists practically everywhere. Mareks Disease, is essentially Chicken Cancer. Some birds develop symptoms some don't. If they are vaccinated it prevents the formation of the tumors that causes the paralysis, blindness, etc. You can vaccinate older chicks, it is best to get them vaccinated as young as possible, but you can vaccinate them if they are older. The Mareks virus is spread through the chicken dander that is shed from the feathers. My 7 week old pullet is sick with Mareks right now. The symptoms started 2 days ago. I am not sure what is going to happen with her. I personally am going to get the vaccine and vaccinate the rest of my chicks that are 7 weeks old and hopefully they will not develop any symptoms of Mareks.

Back
Top Bottom