Do i need to worry?

Vconde09

Songster
Apr 12, 2019
Kansas
I boughta bottle goat from the auction.She was eating good last night and part of today but when I went to feed her afternoon bottle she didn't eat much.he belly is round and soft.She had runny poop this morning and last night.i have a vet appointment Thursday to get her checked out to make sure she is healthy and get done whatever she needs done.She is two week old nubian.Also how often and how much should I feed her?
Thanks in advance

2 weeks? What are you feeding, how much and how often? Do you know what she was being fed at her last home? How much does she weigh?
Please make sure and get her to that vet appointment!

2 weeks? What are you feeding, how much and how often? Do you know what she was being fed at her last home? How much does she weigh?
Please make sure and get her to that vet appointment!
Yes two weeks.i am feeding her powder goat milk and 8 Oz every 4-5 hours.I am gonna guess 10-15 lbs.

Yes two weeks.i am feeding her powder goat milk and 8 Oz every 4-5 hours.I am gonna guess 10-15 lbs.
You really don't need to go to the trouble and expense of powdered goat milk. Plain old whole cow milk from the store works fine. I can't begin to tell you how many kids I have raised on cow milk and how many calves I have raised on goat milk. However, since you are feeding the powdered milk don't change now. The round soft belly is not good. Try giving some kaopectate. My vet had me give it to both calves and kids that had the runs. In fact when I was raising calves I bought the stuff by the gallon. You can use a syringe and squirt it in the mouth or put it in the milk. Can you get an earlier vet appointment? Babies with scours can go downhill fast.

You really don't need to go to the trouble and expense of powdered goat milk. Plain old whole cow milk from the store works fine. I can't begin to tell you how many kids I have raised on cow milk and how many calves I have raised on goat milk. However, since you are feeding the powdered milk don't change now. The round soft belly is not good. Try giving some kaopectate. My vet had me give it to both calves and kids that had the runs. In fact when I was raising calves I bought the stuff by the gallon. You can use a syringe and squirt it in the mouth or put it in the milk. Can you get an earlier vet appointment? Babies with scours can go downhill fast.
No there's not many goat vets around.and it's not diarrhea but not hard either.its a soft yellow poop....

Soft yellow poop OK. How is she feeling otherwise?
She is eating but only half of her bottles..I honestly don't think she likes the goat formula and now I am trying to figure out how to switch her to a milk recipe I used for another one of the bottle babies.

Put her on electrolytes (pedialyte will also work ) for 24 hours, no milk or milk products for that time. Then start back up with whole milk, goat milk or whatever milk recipe you have used before. When you go back to milk, make sure each bottle is 100 deg. For the amount, she needs 10-12% of body weight per day. If you have a people scale, weigh you holding her, then weigh you alone and subtract your alone weight from the weight of two of you.
So if the both of you weigh 120 lbs., and just you weighs 105 lbs., she's 15 lbs. Next convert that to ounces: (16 ounces per lb.) 15lbs x 16 ounces = 240. Ten percent (amount needed each day) of 240 (weight in ounces) = 24. Divide 24 by how many feedings in 24 hours. So, for 4 feedings, she should be getting around 6 ounces each feeding.
Get her settled on that and try to get her stabilized before you change anything else up.
And remember, your vet may have other ideas.

Update:Well she is acting normal today and last night.Her belly is back to normal and her poop is starting to become normal.She is also playing and eating normal,but still gonna get her off that powder crap!

Update:Well she is acting normal today and last night.Her belly is back to normal and her poop is starting to become normal.She is also playing and eating normal,but still gonna get her off that powder crap!
I don't like powdered milk either. Try mixing half regular milk and half powder for a feeding or two and then go to straight milk. You mentioned a formula. This may be the one you are thinking about. In case you don't remember it, here it is. It was concocted by a Boer breeder for her bottle babies and kids, especially Boers and mini goats, do well on it. You take a gallon jug of store milk (whole, not 2%). Pour off about a quart. Add to the jug a cup of buttermilk and a can of evaporated (not sweetened condensed) milk. Shake it up and fill the jug back up with some of the milk you poured off. Or you can just feed plain store milk.

Back
Top Bottom