do I need vents...

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by crumptz, Mar 26, 2012.

1. crumptz

crumptz Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2012
    Mountain View, CA
    Ok, I'm getting started building tomorrow! making a lean to style coop for 5 hens. Live in northern california near san jose. I plan to have the floor of my coop made of wire- not solid wood so droppings go onto floor under the coop. Do I need vents bult in the coop if the floor isn't solid?
    My coop plans are 4 wide, 3 deep, 4 tall in back.

2. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Chicken poop doesn't go through wire very well, except when they are quite young. If you don't want to clean the floor, you could leave it dirt and keep thick litter in there, then rake it out once or twice a year.

If you mean it will have 4 solid walls, then yes, it will need ventilation. If the front will be open and continuous with the run, no.

3. Riceman026

Riceman026 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2012
    Granite Falls, WA
    I would think that is enough fresh air and would keep the droppings smell (amonia) at bay. Maybe put a small one at the top to keep anything rising moving. I did the same thing with quail and put a 3 inch hole near the top just for that and have had zero issues with my birds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by