Do I paint inside the nest box?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Pickles03, May 9, 2011.

1. Pickles03

Pickles03 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2010
    Niagara Falls, ON
    Preparing my mostly built coop for the chickies.....painted the interior today to cut down on dust etc. like I have read to do.
    Stopped short of painting the nest box.....thoughts? Should I paint the nest box as well? Or leave it bare wood??
    All I could think of is broody hens picking at the walls.....

2. N&MSchroeder

N&MSchroeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2011
    SE Idaho
    We painted ours. [​IMG] The coop was finished long before they arrived as chicks and they have been in there about 8 weeks and I haven't seen them picking at the paint, either in the nest boxes or on the walls. [​IMG]

3. coppahed

coppahed Out Of The Brooder

Sep 12, 2007
    Montana
    I would think it would make it easier to clean. my wooden nest boxes seem pretty absorbent.

4. Jferlisi

Jferlisi i dont eat chicken!!!!

Nov 2, 2010
    Menifee CA
    I dont have a problem with my boxes being not painted. I have a foam mat on the bottom of my boxes tho cause they where kicking out the shavings and cracking eggs on the wood. I super glued it down so it would stay. Its just a matter of preference i guess.
    *edit* I would put wood shavings down in your boxes too, fyi, cause the do soak up alot of the moister too.

Last edited: May 10, 2011
  5. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    I would, it's a lot easier to clean poo off (yes, poo WILL sometimes get on the walls and floor of the box) and if you ahve a mite problem it is less likely to be difficult to solve; but it is not a big deal and if you don't want to paint then it will not make a huge difference.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

6. Wise Woman

Wise Woman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    The Enchanted Forest
    I have had them both ways and the painted ones are easier to clean off. When we build our new coop, everything will be getting painted so I can scrub it out twice year. Just my personal preference.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by