Do I paint the floor of the coop? Or what?

Stormy

Chirping
13 Years
Jun 7, 2008
South Carolina
We are using an 8'x10' shed that has the 5/8" plywood on the floor for our coop for the 30 girls.

I am thinking I am going to use a paint (*oil base? Outdoor type?) on the plywood to help protect it from the urine for future months/years to come.

To put a barrier of paint down between the droppings/urine and the wood. Any reason not to?
Other suggestions?

Some people do, with a gloss or semi gloss. It will probably take several coats to get a good, wash resistant coat. It doesn't matter whether it is oil or water base. Just let it cure well before use.

Another solution is to find a vinyl flooring scrap. The individual tiles don't work so well, I have read, because the dirt gets stuck between them and lift their edges, but a vinyl or linoleum surface is easy toclean. If you can, run it u the wall a few inches on two sides. From what I've read, I think the vinyl is more satisfoactory, since their claws will scratch the paint eventually.

We use a dirt floor so I can't tell you from experience, only reading here.

I used Blackjack 57 after reading other posts here about it. So far it has held up really well and I am happy with it. I also use the deep litter method.

I had extra free left over paint that I used to paint my plywood floor.

I do think that it helps extend the life of the plywood.

I haven't used anything else, but have read that vinyl or linoleum can be very slick, so you need thick bedding on top of the plastic floor, so the chickens don't skate about and hurt their legs.

I installed vinyl when we built our coop. When the chicks started roosting some decided they would jump/fly off the roost to the floor when I opened the coop in the morning, skidding all the way out the door. I was really concerned someone would get hurt so bought several large pads used under bbq grills , laid them on the vinyl and put pine shavings on top. The surface is rough so no more skidding and the pads are large enough that they don't move. It is easy to fold the pads in half, drag them out of the coop and clean when needed. They can be swept clean or hosed off if the weather is nice so they dry completely. They have spent a lot of time in the coop during this awful winter so more poop than usual, meaning more cleaning than usual. I've just used a flat bladed shovel to scoop up the bedding, it comes up easily. I am happy with the way the pads are working - they are make a safe landing pad and are easy to clean. And, the vinyl protects the flooring.

Back
Top Bottom