Do I paint the roost???

I'd like to see what you mean, also, Doug. A 1x anything wont work for my great big birds. I think the roost should be geared to your largest bird. My Suede's feet are from back toe to middle toe, 5" across. No way on earth he can have less than a 2x4. Actually, he now has a shelf made with green plastic garden fencing rather than a standard roost. Also, chickens do not grip with their toes like wild birds. The back toe works differently.

Quote:
that's an interesting point. i wasn't thinking of sand impregnated into paint being that abrasive, but more of the sloughing and toughening effects of a raised textured surface.

i like the idea of oiling the roosts. i'll bet it has a preserving effect, too. do you get any sour smell from the vegetable oil at all?

No, in fact, the tea tree added to the veg oil actually makes the coop smell nice for awhile. You dont want to add much because aromatics are not good for your birds, but I'll resand the roosts from time to time and reapply the oil.

Quote:
i, personally, probably wouldn't use an EO in an enclosed space like a coop, but i like the idea of the pressed oil. i'll have to try it.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom