Do I put cooked egg yolks in my chicks feed?

Scrambled egg is a nice protein supplement. But I'd not mix it into their crumble. Just give it to them separate, and be sure to remove any they don't eat after an hour or two. I'd skip the fish oil.
Ditto. I don't mix it with the crumbles. A dozen, 1-week old chicks will quickly eat up 1 or 2 scrambled eggs.

The "old-timers" used to give crushed, hard-boiled or scrambled eggs to very young chicks in the days before there was such as thing as commercial chicken feed. Eggs are a complete protein and full of vitamins and other nutrients. It's what fed the chick for the 1st 21 days of its life inside the egg. But again, it's a supplement to the feed you're using. You're very lucky to find such a high-quality chick feed with 21% protein! I'm only been able to find one with 18% protein (Nature's Best Organic Chick Starter-Grower).

Last edited:
Chickens are omnivores... opportunistic scavenge when they can.

What everyone said about chicken eggs.... cooked either hardboiled or scrambled.... You can even crush up egg shells and add it to the mix.... (for older birds on grid) Hens to boost calcium.

They will eat eggs raw but that is precedent you shouldn't set.

deb

Last edited by a moderator:
You don't need to give them anything except chick feed. I wouldn't give them scratch, that does not have the nutrients they need to grow. Plus, they would also need grit to digest it. A little as a treat if you are providing grit would be fine.

Scrambled egg or egg yolk can be fed as a treat that they really enjoy, but again, you don't need to be mixing it into their feed. And I would skip the fish oil entirely.

x2

It's a good idea to offer chick grit free choice at about a week old whether they get treats or not. I'd also suggest supplying them untreated light dirt for dust baths & sod from your yard for immunity to local pathogens.

Thanks you so much. We read so much and everyone says something different. We want the best for them. so just the chick starter and grit when we start to feed them treats? I like to have some kind of treat for them when so when we pet or hold them, they are clam and like us more. lol
-Aryn
My chicks will be 2 weeks old on Monday. Like you I'm overwhelmed by all the different opinions. I'm using chick starter crumbles. A few days ago I gave them all Some grit. Today I picked apart some clover flowers and let them taste it. 3 flowers for 13 chicks. Even my wry neck chick had a few. Good luck and enjoy.

Back
Top Bottom