Do I put my broody on lockdown?

Solanacae

Crowing
Mar 10, 2021
Cache Valley, UT
Can someone please remind me if broody hens go on lockdown? I have my brooding area inside my coop, but blocked off so that the other hens will not bother the broodies. Since they are blocked off, I have been lifting them off their nests once a day so they can poop, eat, bathe, etc. I have only hatched once before and don’t remember what I did last time. They don’t have food or water in their brooding area at the moment but I could easily put some in, for what it’s worth.

What I do, is just remove whatever is blocking their nest off, and see if they want to come out. After waiting a while, you can put it back.
Some of my broody hens don't move when their think the eggs are hatching, others still want to come of the nest, up till a chick is actually out of the egg.

What I do, is just remove whatever is blocking their nest off, and see if they want to come out. After waiting a while, you can put it back.
Some of my broody hens don't move when their think the eggs are hatching, others still want to come of the nest, up till a chick is actually out of the egg.
Thank you!

Can someone please remind me if broody hens go on lockdown? I have my brooding area inside my coop, but blocked off so that the other hens will not bother the broodies. Since they are blocked off, I have been lifting them off their nests once a day so they can poop, eat, bathe, etc. I have only hatched once before and don’t remember what I did last time. They don’t have food or water in their brooding area at the moment but I could easily put some in, for what it’s worth.
you do not need to put a broody into lockdown. This is an incubation thing where we stop turning the eggs and bump the humidity. With broodies, it isn't needed, she will do all these things by herself.
But yes, the comment above explains what to do in your situation. If you supply a waterer for her, ensure the chicks will not be able to get into it.
Best of luck with the hatch!!

you do not need to put a broody into lockdown. This is an incubation thing where we stop turning the eggs and bump the humidity. With broodies, it isn't needed, she will do all these things by herself.
But yes, the comment above explains what to do in your situation. If you supply a waterer for her, ensure the chicks will not be able to get into it.
Best of luck with the hatch!!
Thank you! I had moved food out because it was drawing in my other hens in when I had the brooding area opened up. My broodies were eating at the main feeder anyway, so I just took the food out. I’m on day 19, so I’ll put food back in but supervise the area when I open up the brooding area so I don’t have any hungry invaders.

My extra waterer has nipples and got moved into my infirmary while I treated a hen for impacted crop, but I’ll move it back in. I’ll put a small gravity fed waterer in when the chicks hatch so they’ll be able to drink.

Back
Top Bottom