Do I put my chickens in the house part at night

Lady423

In the Brooder
Nov 8, 2018
here is a picture of my coop. Am I supposed to put the chickens in the house part at night? I have 4, 16 weeks chickens. We live in Hawaii so don’t have lots of predators and it’s not cold. I guess I just don’t want them to be squished. We are working on a bigger run this weekend and eventually will let them free range. Thanks for any advice! Feel free to over share! I am very new to chickens

Attachments

• E5AAFA74-3C50-445D-8D8C-F49E3E4977BE.jpeg
    E5AAFA74-3C50-445D-8D8C-F49E3E4977BE.jpeg
    929.9 KB · Views: 36
Most young chicks do need to be put to bed until they do it themselves. If the coop is dark or stuffy they m ah not want to go in and you may need to add more ventilation and windows.[/QUOTE

It has windows, should I open them? I have then closed now

I think my only roost is in the run. Will they figure it out themselves or should I teach them? Also do I put the food and water inside the house part or is the run ok since it’s covered and closed in?
Younger ones do until they learn to roost. Yours should be getting up on the roosts soon.

What Island are you on?

Looks like a pre-fab structure, there may be be a roost in the coop section. You may consider protecting this structure from the rain, the additional run can be open. That way when it rains for days, they'll have a dry area. Suggestion: Hang shower curtains under the eaves, they can be pulled back when it's not raining & also protect from the winds.

The coop is where they usually sleep & lay. The feed/water can remain in the run section but will probably attract rodents, I don't leave feed out at night.

Attachments

• DSC04442.JPG
    DSC04442.JPG
    714.6 KB · Views: 19
I have that same one. There are roost bars or should be in two areas. Inside there are two and then in the run area there is one.

My climate here is not as nice--just woke up to snow--yuk. The list of predators is long.

I actually took that coop and made the whole thing a coop, so they had more room. The coop itself is in a covered run.

image.jpg

What Island are you on?

Looks like a pre-fab structure, there may be be a roost in the coop section. You may consider protecting this structure from the rain, the additional run can be open. That way when it rains for days, they'll have a dry area. Suggestion: Hang shower curtains under the eaves, they can be pulled back when it's not raining & also protect from the winds.

The coop is where they usually sleep & lay. The feed/water can remain in the run section but will probably attract rodents, I don't leave feed out at night.

I’m on Maui. That’s a good idea with the curtains. I guess there are two roosts on the inside, I was confused because they aren’t high like the one in the run

We are going to build a walk in run around the coop this weekend. Should I make sure it’s covered? I want the kids to be able to go in and Play with them until we get the free range thing figured out

Back
Top Bottom