Do I quarantine for prolapse?

2023-03-28 20.08.34.jpg

That is before I pushed in.

@Wyorp Rock, I've seen you have helped others out with this issue. Do you have any thoughts?

A week old chick should be with it’s flock, but watch to see they are not pecking it. Separate in the brooder with a screen or shoebox, only if they are pecking it. Keep it from drying out with cortisone cream, vaseline, etc. It should be eating and drinking. Dip it’s beak often. Add a little warm water to a small amount of chick crumbles in a tiny bowl for interest. Pasty butt or constipation can be a reason for straining and prolapse. Offering a few chips of chilled coconut oil cut into tiny piece can help with pasty butt.
It sounds like you are doing what you can.
I agree with the above suggestions of keeping her hydrated, the tissue moist and giving a little coconut oil to help with constipation.
Warm epsom salts compresses may help reduce some of the swelling, just be sure to dry her well and keep the tissue moist.

Hopefully this will resolve in a couple of days.

It sounds like you are doing what you can.
I agree with the above suggestions of keeping her hydrated, the tissue moist and giving a little coconut oil to help with constipation.
Warm epsom salts compresses may help reduce some of the swelling, just be sure to dry her well and keep the tissue moist.

Hopefully this will resolve in a couple of days.
Okay, thank you!

I think she's getting worse. No more is coming out, but I can't get it to stay in for more than a couple minutes. I'll push it in and then she'll try to poop and push it back out right after. Is there any way to keep it in?

Is she able to poop with the tissue exposed?

It's probably too swollen to stay in. Keep the tissue moist with your ointment at all times so it doesn't dry out. You can try a warm epsom salts soak (her little bum) to see if that helps with inflammation, but again, if it's really swollen it may take a while to reduce enough to go back in and be retained.

If you do soak her, then dry her with a hair dryer so she doesn't get chilled.

Work on hydration and see if you can get the coconut oil into her to help soften the poop. You don't want to restrict food/water because she'll become dehydrated and week.

Is she able to poop with the tissue exposed?

It's probably too swollen to stay in. Keep the tissue moist with your ointment at all times so it doesn't dry out. You can try a warm epsom salts soak (her little bum) to see if that helps with inflammation, but again, if it's really swollen it may take a while to reduce enough to go back in and be retained.

If you do soak her, then dry her with a hair dryer so she doesn't get chilled.

Work on hydration and see if you can get the coconut oil into her to help soften the poop. You don't want to restrict food/water because she'll become dehydrated and week.
She is still pooping.

I've been doing epsom salt soaks since yesterday afternoon (every few hours), putting cortisone on it everytime I check on her, and giving her moist food, oil, and electrolytes since night before last.

Since this started night before last, the swelling has gotten a bit worse (it hasn't gotten worse since last night, but thinking about it now, it is a bit bigger than it was at first), but I'm doing everything I can right from the start.

The other chicks aren't messing with it, but she is. Everytime I turn around she's trying to clean it.

I just went through something like this with a 10 day old bantam chick although it wasn't fully prolapsed and was caused by excess pasty butt due to poor care in feed store. I had already been doing epsom salt soak and vaseline for this one and the other three chicks who weren't quite as bad. A member here suggested hydrocortisone cream and that brought down the swelling on her rear and what had been out was back in the chick by morning. After the hydrocortisone I put a lot of vaseline on it and shut off the lights in the room a little early so the chicks would go to sleep and not peck at the most hurt one. Things were a lot better by morning and now she and her 3 fellow chicks (who also had issues) are getting better every day. I hope your chick gets better.

Same issue with a week old chick. Planning in hydrocortisone cream tonight and seeing how she is is the morning.

Hope it goes well @Gardening Gal. My little one never 100% got better she still has a slight protrusion and I still have to check her daily and wipe/moisturize as needed but it's a lot better than it was. She's small too although I don't know her breed so even though they're all bantams she may be a smaller breed. I just hope so much that this doesn't stop her from living her full life potential. I feel angry for the neglect she suffered in her first 10 days at the farm store. She seems to do everything the other 3 bantams do and enjoys her life just needs to be checked daily even though we are past this with the others. The good part is that nobody pecks at her and she leaves it along herself. Since the protrusion is so small now I hope she will eventually outgrow it.

Back
Top Bottom