Do I really have "Blanche and the girls"?

HJSmith

In the Brooder
Mar 24, 2015
Greenville, NC
Good Morning all!
I am very new at this, but I see people post on here all the time asking for help guessing what their chicks are, so I figured I would ask too, cause even after reading all those threads I still dont see what it is that makes some people so sure!
I have 2 Buff Orpingtons, 3 Buckeyes, 2 RIR, and 4 BSL - I know the BSL are girls, no dots on their heads, so yay for that lol! But I'm worried about the other 7. I have a pic of all of them from above at 2 weeks old, then only a few from yesterday, where they are about 3 1/2 weeks old. (they are in this new fun stage of running from us when we come to the coop, so its very hard to get pics of each of them.)

Below is 2 weeks - going clockwise, starting at 3 BSL, 1 RIR, 2 buckeyes, 1 BO, 1 RIR, 1 BO, 1 BSL, 1 Buckeye (as you can see the 2 buckeyes next to eachother on the right are nowhere near as feathered as the 1 buckeye on the left, same with the RIR at the top not having as many feathers as the RIR on the bottom)

Below 3 1/2 weeks - Blanche - 1 of my BO, the other BO is feathered about the same and you can see her rear end to the back right. Behind Blanche is aalso a RIR & Buckeye.

Below 3 1/2 weeks - the 2 buckeyes that are not very feathered (the back end of the other is either the other Buckeye, or 1 of the RIR, from the back those 2 look the same)

I had to lean way into the coop to get a pic of most of them lol This one probably wont help any either but I got it anyway :)

Oh look I just realized both my BO are looking at eachother in the last pic, so cute
love.gif

Last edited:
in photo #2, I say there is a 50/50% the closest one is a roo, leaning on roo, in the background of photo#2, of the ones you can see the faces of the one to the farthest left is a roo, and the right is a 50/505 maybe.

Can you try to get individual photo's?

I agree that the 2nd pic down looks like a likely rooster if that is comb development and not just glare and shadow. By the way, if memory serves me correctly from my Buff Orpingtons, they never had any color on their wings....they were entirely yellow from start to finish.

BO= buff orph right? not to be rude but Blanche is not a buff anything, she is going to be patterned somehow, where did you get them? and Blanche I say is a roo because of the wattle and comb development at the age~

I agree that the 2nd pic down looks like a likely rooster if that is comb development and not just glare and shadow. By the way, if memory serves me correctly from my Buff Orpingtons, they never had any color on their wings....they were entirely yellow from start to finish.
Oh no, they are the first breed I decided I wanted, I hope the small hatchery I got them from didnt mess up :(

I am not incredibly experienced but I do have 2 B.O in my backyard right now and to be sure went back and looked at their baby pics, no color of any kind besides yellow. Blanche looks like a possible Production Red (usually sold as a Rhode Island Red) ...I have 2 of those in the back yard too though his/her head looks a little yellow to be that.

Buff orphs get pretty large so that's a beware just fyi ^^ and they probably did mess up, because they May be orphs but not buff that's for sure~
I do have a huge B.O (about 9 lbs) and a tiny one (a little over 7lbs). Hatchery birds can really vary. This is them as babies....Buffs on the right Reds on the left.

Back
Top Bottom