Do I really have to keep chicks in brooder for 6 weeks?

Pics
It all depends on the climate you live in and on the chicken breed. As a general rule, chicks need to be kept warm between 90-105 F degrees when they are between 1 day-3 weeks old.

Every first-time chick parent sticks to those rules, but after raising the first flock it is more about common sense and observing the chicks.

We keep all our 1 day- 1 week old chicks in a 70 F room inside the house, with a heating pad under (not inside) their plastic storage bin as a brooder.

vito flock 1 day old march 30 2016.jpg

6 days old (13).JPG

We daily and frequently observe their behavior. Are they scattered and spread out far apart? The brooder is too hot. Are they huddling all close together? Their brooder is probably too cold.

At 3 weeks, they no longer need the heating pad and they are move to a (rabbit) cage or larger bin.
Two and half week old flock march 30 2016.jpg

Around 4 weeks they are getting more restless and wanting to fly out and perch on the sides. That is the time for them to move to the coop. In the coop we also have a small heater to keep it around the temperature they are used to.

Between 4-6 weeks old, we only turn the heater on when the night temperature drops below 50 F. When temperature outside is at least 60 F, they are also allowed to go outside in the run.

035.JPG
055.JPG

At 6 weeks old we no longer turn on the heater in the coop, unless it is below 40 degrees. We live in Missouri and still have frost in April.

When they are 8 weeks old they no longer need the heater and free range during the day.

So when our chicks are 4 weeks old they are already out of the brooder and used to colder temperatures without any problems.

The breeds we raised this way, over the past 6 years, were Barred Rock, Silver Laced Wyandotte, Rhode Island, Buff Orpington, and Speckled Sussex. We learned that by observing them instead of sticking to strict rules, our chicks grow into well adapted free range chickens.

I got 13 chicks this year and most of them are going on 2 weeks this weekend. They are getting crowded in the bin I've been keeping them in in the mud room so I'm thinking of a good next step... garage w newspaper and maybe baby pool? I've seen lots of posts on baby chicks in small brooders but hardly anything on how to manage them when they are 2-6 weeks.

Do I really have I keep them in the garage for 6 weeks if it's warm outside? I feel like they are going to get so bored and it will be a huge mess.

Anyone have a better solution?

Thank you!
Just stick them in a coop with a light light if it’s warm already.

We are back down in the 30s ... wth happened to spring! They are doing fine out there tho with heat lamp.
It all depends on the climate you live in and on the chicken breed. As a general rule, chicks need to be kept warm between 90-105 F degrees when they are between 1 day-3 weeks old.

Every first-time chick parent sticks to those rules, but after raising the first flock it is more about common sense and observing the chicks.

We keep all our 1 day- 1 week old chicks in a 70 F room inside the house, with a heating pad under (not inside) their plastic storage bin as a brooder.

View attachment 1326626
View attachment 1326628

We daily and frequently observe their behavior. Are they scattered and spread out far apart? The brooder is too hot. Are they huddling all close together? Their brooder is probably too cold.

At 3 weeks, they no longer need the heating pad and they are move to a (rabbit) cage or larger bin.
View attachment 1326629

Around 4 weeks they are getting more restless and wanting to fly out and perch on the sides. That is the time for them to move to the coop. In the coop we also have a small heater to keep it around the temperature they are used to.

Between 4-6 weeks old, we only turn the heater on when the night temperature drops below 50 F. When temperature outside is at least 60 F, they are also allowed to go outside in the run.

View attachment 1326641 View attachment 1326642

At 6 weeks old we no longer turn on the heater in the coop, unless it is below 40 degrees. We live in Missouri and still have frost in April.

When they are 8 weeks old they no longer need the heater and free range during the day.

So when our chicks are 4 weeks old they are already out of the brooder and used to colder temperatures without any problems.

The breeds we raised this way, over the past 6 years, were Barred Rock, Silver Laced Wyandotte, Rhode Island, Buff Orpington, and Speckled Sussex. We learned that by observing them instead of sticking to strict rules, our chicks grow into well adapted free range chickens.

Great post!!! Thank you! We are learning to observe like you said. I like heating pad under brooder idea!

View attachment 1326626
View attachment 1326628

View attachment 1326629

View attachment 1326641 View attachment 1326642

Thank you! So helpful!

Three and four week old outdoor raised Silkies out mingling with the flock. ;)

View attachment 1315875 View attachment 1315876

Blooie -- I feel like I'm witnessing a miracle here. Your hens don't pick on the chicks? I've only had to integrate chicks once before & it was a nightmare for me to watch. The hens were vicious at them! Is one of the hens their mama???

Nope....they are shipped chicks, raised outside in a wire pen within the run. None of those adults were “mama”. Bigs were free to walk around them, chicks learned to be chickens by watching the adults, and integration is started at 3 weeks. By 4 weeks they are totally integrated and the brooder pen is taken out. Did 8 batches this way and it went exactly the same way every single time. B

Mine are almost 8 weeks and have taken over my bathroom. I have started the enclosure but I'm by myself so this will be a never ending project. Nothing is secure enough to put them outside yet. Thank God I have two bathrooms.

Mine are almost 8 weeks and have taken over my bathroom. I have started the enclosure but I'm by myself so this will be a never ending project. Nothing is secure enough to put them outside yet. Thank God I have two bathrooms.

Mind were out at 3 weeks and were fine. I couldn't take them inside anymore!

Back
Top Bottom