Do I really need a coop? How about just a pen with shelter?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by SaraFL, May 24, 2011.

1. SaraFL

SaraFL Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    Jacksonville, FL
    I'm in North Florida and have 6 pullets and 5 ducks. They are in a small temporary pen with no coop, just a plastic roof, some branches for perching and a Rubbermaid bin on its side if they feel like going in there. Can I do this on a bigger scale? Most of the year is very warm to hot, and during the winters gets down to 30s sometimes overnight, but more likely in the 50s-60s. What if I put up tarp on the sides of the pen to block the wind during the winter, and possibly a heat lamp on really cold nights. Is that enough?

2. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    Here's mine.
    [​IMG]
    It's a two part deal because as you will find out the first is just not big enough....LOL
    There is a doorway in between the two sections that I can close off if needed. I used hardware cloth on all sides and the top. The tops are covered. There is a solid back wall on the left section. You can see the side and the partial wall below.
    [​IMG]
    I have been very pleased with it but of course I am planning on more! This past winter I put plastic up and they did great. THere are vines growing over the top and lots of vegetation around to help cool it. I also used sand on the bottom in the coop on the right. Chips on the one on the left. I much much prefer the sand. I am in North Florida as well. Near Tallahassee.

sharon

3. SaraFL

Apr 7, 2011
    Jacksonville, FL
    Thanks Sharon. Love your chicken pen. I'm glad to know the chickens will be alright. I just can't see stuffing them into a wooden box in this heat, and plus since I'm building the whole thing myself, it will simplify my job. BTW, I'm in Jacksonville.

4. aggie9296

aggie9296 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2011
    Panama City, FL
    Also in N Florida and I have a tractor that has two wire walls instead of wood for ventilation. Open coops down here do pretty well with the heat and humidity. I will cover the wire with plastic to block wind this winter. I did extend the roof out pretty wide (about 2 feet) to block rain from blowing in. Especially with hurricane season coming!

Last edited: May 24, 2011
  5. SaraFL

Apr 7, 2011
    Jacksonville, FL
    Thanks Aggie.

BTW, I would love to know how to start a mealworm farm.

6. aggie9296

Jan 28, 2011
    Panama City, FL
    and you probably never need a heat lamp on healthy adult chickens during our winters.

7. aggie9296

Jan 28, 2011
    Panama City, FL
    Quote:There is a HUGE current mealworm thread on here.

1000 Mealworms off ebay $17
    Huge rubbermaid bin $9
    stale dogfood and oatmeal $0
    happy worm chasing chickens PRICELESS!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by