Do I really need a door on my coop if it's enclosed?

BadSpongeBob

Hatching
10 Years
May 1, 2009
I'm chicken-less now, but I've been thinking about getting a couple hens. I'm a family man and homeowner, so I've already got plenty of things to do around the house. I think I can handle all the other jobs of keeping chickens, but the thought of having to close their coop door every night and open it every morning is a deal-killer for me.

The coop will open into an enclosed chicken run with raccoon defenses all around, that's the main predator here. Does the coop really need a door? If it does, would a doggie door work so they can let themselves in and out? I live in the Los Angeles suburbs, so it's not like they need a door to protect them against blizzards.

In your area, a door may not be needed. I would just make sure the doorway is not facing your prevailing winds. It will keep them dryer.

By the way
welcome-byc.gif
from Ohio

Last edited:
My pop door stays open most of the time, but there are occasions when I want to shut the birds in. You can always leave it open, but it's nice to have when you need it.

If you're got something like chain link all around and have protection in place to keep things from digging in, or reaching through the chain to grab a chicken then sure. It's not a biggy.

Coons and possums will be your biggest threat as they both will actively try and break in during the night time. So long as the run is buttoned up well you should be good... But I stress the word should..
wink.png

Great, thanks for your replies! Now that I know I can do it, I just have to sell the wife on it...

There are automatic pop doors. You can get the kind that work on a timer or ones that operate on a light sensor. They're not cheap, but take away the problem of having to open and close the door.

Quote:
Haha, don't welcome me yet. If my wife won't go along with it, I'll have to keep getting my eggs from Costco!

Back
Top Bottom