Do I REALLY want a bator?

Mesa

Songster
Nov 21, 2008
New Mexico
I've been tossing this idea in my head for weeks now. Is hatching eggs THAT hard? How many chickens do I (myself) really need? Would an incubator just be a "waste of money"? I only need about 8 more chickens. Then I should stop... I dont want my neighbors to get mad at me LOL. What do you do with the Roo's you hatch out? I could give them away, but what if no-one wants them?
I'm really trying not to buy an incubator (hova-bater 1588) this week. I'd love one though! I also think this would be a wonderful learning experience for my kids.... so what do you all think?
I want to buy some Amaraucanas (for the blue green eggs), and some Welsummers and/or Marans for the dark eggs. I've lurked a bit and I know I need good birds, not hatchery birds. Thats why I think a bator would be so handy. I could just order good eggs and hatch them out myself...

decisions, decisions.

Jackie

try the number one no electricity- auto turning- warmth controlled eight or so egg incubator... i call it, the silkie!

Incubateing is one of those things that you have to enjoy it to do it. If you are just wanting 6 chickens i wouldn't do the incu because if you have a failed hatch you may get nothing.
tongue.gif

It's not easy like the incu people say sometimes the temp is off and then the humidity has to be at a certain level. I find it very time consumeing and nerve rakeing keeping up with the temp and humidity. Then theres the 21 day wait
barnie.gif
and the whole time i watch it like a hawk to make sure everthing is right.
Then the hatch may or may not happen then if some of the eggs don't hatch i agonize over what went wrong.
hu.gif
But i still incubate as i love seeing the process and enjoy hatching and raiseing by own chickens.
My first 2 attempts were with a styrofoam incu i killed
th.gif
60 chickens at least thats how i feel because not one of them hatched.
I switched to the Brower top hatch and had 3 hatches in it this past spring and summer at a 85% to 90% hatch rate.
ya.gif
So it's up to you and how much time and nerves you are willing to put into it. I enjoy hatching but it's not easy but to me the rewards of haveing my own chicks is worth it.
jumpy.gif

Good Luck with whatever you decide
frow.gif

Once you have an incubator, you will want to hatch anything that you can throw in it. Suddenly, the possibilities are endless. Any "dream chicken breed" that you have ever wanted is a mere mouse click away. All of the "enablers" on this, and other chicken sites will encourage you to hatch anything from button quail to emus. Your basement will reek of "January brooder chicks". You are teetering on an addiction that can have a greater grip on your soul than heroin.

I have had really good luck with shipped eggs and have some great chickens that I never would have had if I had to find them locally. Well, gotta' go, it's time to feed those stinky winter basement chicks.

We are in the process of doing the very thing you are proposing to do. We didn't want to buy hatchery stock and so bought a bator and hatching eggs...and another bator and some more eggs....and another bator and some more eggs....and some more eggs....you get the idea!
lol.png
Seriously though, it is very addicting. Something about the miracle of birth..well you're a mama, you probably know what I'm talking about! It's truly awesome. And as far as educational experiences go..it doesn't get much better!

But there is one thing I need to add. Along with the joy..comes the sorrows. When you buy hatchery stock, any chicks that are deformed or ill won't be shipped. (Or shouldn't be) You are saved the reality of having to cull a chick or find them dead. The more you hatch, the higher the risk of problems occuring. (Percentage wise) Please seriously consider that side of it when you are waying the pros and cons.

Now after being all serious...hatching has become a hobby and true joy. And there are some phenominal sellers here on BYC that can hook you up with hatching eggs from healthy stock!

Last edited:
Thank you all for your replies so far.
Urbanmama, I'm a fellow homeschooling mommy too! I see you also have Welsummer chicks! YAY for you!

if you just wanted a few chickens I would just buy day old pullets,shipped eggs are such a gamble,out of a dozen you could get 6 to hatch and then be all roosters,or none to hatch

Back
Top Bottom