Do I "register" my farm name?

60ACRES

Stepped in what??
10 Years
Apr 8, 2009
Long, OK
Is there anyway to register or protect my farm name?

I want to be the only one with my farm name. I want to establish this name and protect it. I would not want anyone else to use it or abuse it.

-Darris

All states have a fictitious name registry with the Department of State, Bureau of Corporations or some similarly named office. If you are planning on doing business under the fictitious name then you should register than name as your business name. You may also want to consider incorporating, but that's another matter.

First, you will have to first make sure it is already available. Most states will let you reserve the name for three days while you complete the paperwork. You will be required to advertise your plan to do business under a fictitious name. Depending on the name you chose, if it is a family name, you won't have to necessarily register it. Also, if it is substantially similar to another business name, you may need to get clearance from the other business to use the name.

Go to your State's Bureau of Corporations, they will have all the information you need.

Good Luck,
Marcy

So, what name are you going with?

If I ever decide to actually sell our eggs, rather than give them away, our kids have picked the name FuzzyButt Farm for our little enterprize.

pop.gif

I'd register it first. You have nothing to gain and all to lose by telling us now. Contrary to what some people think, not ALL 50,000 registered users and who knows how many visitors are truly ethical.

Last edited:
Yeah, it's likely safe to say as you are in OK and the others are in other states. People on here aren't jerks that will steal from you either including your name. Names are applicable to the state. jmho.

LOL..Ridgerunner stated what I had in the back of my mind but hadn't seen yet.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom