Do I remove more “junk” from my poor Pekin’s leg?

Hi, I don’t wanna be rude but Muscovies aren’t technically ducks and Mallard-derived ducks can’t communicate with them, so it would be just as bad as being by himself. It’s also a good idea to have at least five hens per drake.

I personally would cull a duck if they’ve gotten to the point of bone infection due to how excruciatingly painful it is, especially if the leg is dislocated. Even if the infection clears she could have lifelong issues due to the dislocation. Being a Pekin, there is a smaller chance of healing to a point of comfort due to her extra weight.
That being said, I hope the best for you and your birds.
Thank you for weighing in. I know I need to do the right thing for Sally and if the vet tomorrow agrees with the original vet, then there's a decision I may need to make right then and there. This vet is more geared toward hobby farm animals and so his opinion holds more weight. Tomorrow could be a difficult day, I realize this completely. It's a second opinion, which is what I need. And depending on what that is will determine the next action to take, even if it's the final one.

I beg to differ on Muscovy and Mallard derived not being able to communicate. I have 5 muscovy ducks and 10 Runners and Buffs. one of my female Muscovy hangs out with the Runners and Buffs even prefers sleeping with them. Not saying this is the norm but it's working here. @Daphne_loves_mealworms also has Rouens and Muscovy. Pulling for Sally 🙏

I AM THRILLED TO REPORT THAT THE SECOND VET SAID THAT SALLY IS A HEALTHY DUCK!!! He says that no way would he have put her down because she is alert. Sally in on oral antibiotic (Baytril) for the next ten days. This vet sees many ducks/chickens and says that Sally will live with her leg the way it is. And I can't be happier to hear this news!!!! And Harry, Sally's husband, is thrilled!!!!
Yay Sally! I appreciate all the support and comments here. It was here that getting a second opinion was recommended (after the first vet had said to euthanize her.)_ Thank you sooooo much!!!

I AM THRILLED TO REPORT THAT THE SECOND VET SAID THAT SALLY IS A HEALTHY DUCK!!! He says that no way would he have put her down because she is alert. Sally in on oral antibiotic (Baytril) for the next ten days. This vet sees many ducks/chickens and says that Sally will live with her leg the way it is. And I can't be happier to hear this news!!!! And Harry, Sally's husband, is thrilled!!!!
Yay Sally! I appreciate all the support and comments here. It was here that getting a second opinion was recommended (after the first vet had said to euthanize her.)_ Thank you sooooo much!!!
I am so excited for you!! I'm so so happy the second vet is going to help her.

From what you said the first time something just didn't seem right to me that the vet would euth her out of the gate without even trying anything. So glad you got a positive outcome.

I hope Sally continues to improve and heals up quick! ❤️🦆

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY SALLY!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom