Do I still need to quarantine if new birds are from the same hatchery?

becsmenagerie

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jun 2, 2013
Sydney, Australia
Hi,

I have two crossbred pullets and have now caught the chicken addiction and want some more! I am planning to get two 17 week old girls from the same place I got my first ones as they have been happy and healthy. Do I still need to keep the new ones in quarantine? I am aware of the integration issues, so I have plans to go with a see but don't touch approach for a few days, but they will still share air space and be alternated in the run.

Also, are my current girls likely to go off laying because of the stress of the intruders?

Thanks

Hmm...assume any change of environment will halt your chickens' laying and you'll be fine with whatever you get. I think quarantine is still a good idea because you don't know where the other birds have been or what birds they've been exposed to up to the point where you bought them. While they are likely healthy, precautions won't hurt.

It's always a good idea to quarantine new birds. Your risks may be reduced because they are all coming from the same place, but they are not coming at the same time. If a disease has started since you got your last chickens, you will be introducing it to them now.

Depending on how the interaction between the birds, you could see a short interruption in eggs from your existing birds. If it does happen though, it will likely be very brief, if at all. Good luck and watch out for that darn chicken math!

Update on my flock, all is going really well! They were properly introduced to each other a few days ago after looking through the wire, and after a few minor scuffles everyone seems to be getting on well. My girls have also kept on laying the whole time :)

Back
Top Bottom