Do I turn on day 18???

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by kathnkyle, Jul 29, 2008.

1. kathnkyle

kathnkyle Out Of The Brooder

Jul 15, 2008
    Dorset, England
    Hi, this is the first time I have incubated eggs and tomorrow is day 18 and I just wanted to check whether or not I still turn the eggs tomorrow?? And can I open the incubator before they hatch or do I leave them???
    I really appreciate all your help!!
    thanks
    kath
    xx

2. chickens4jojo

chickens4jojo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2008
    Upstate South Carolina
    I have read many times to turn through day 18. Then on Day 19 up that Humidity for them and don't open it until they hatch on Day 21 or so.

This is what I have always done, but I am no expert~~any expert out there who can help better????

3. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    I stop turning on day 18. You need to bump your humidity level to around 68% and leave the bator closed until the hatch is finished! If you open the bator while the hatch is in progress you could interfere with the others that are trying to hatch. So, tomorrow you will stop turning the eggs, bump up your humidity, and then sit on your hands until the hatch is over! Good luck! [​IMG]

4. Eggseronious

Eggseronious Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2008
    East Tennessee
    Yes quit turning on day 18. [​IMG] If you do its alright a day off has no effect. Just remember to get the humidity up to around 65% on the last few days and when they pip the humidity will increase. Yes and dont open the incubator because you will lose the humidity. Good luck!

Last edited: Jul 29, 2008
  5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Yeah, doesn't matter if you turn or not on Day 18. Sometimes I turn them part of the day and quit, sometimes I even up the humidity and quit turning at the end of Day 17. There's some leeway here.

6. CindyS

CindyS Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    Geneseo, Illinois
    When to stop turning is the least important thing to worry about. If you forget to turn tomorrow, no big deal. If you forget to stop turning, dont matter. I have some eggs that I forgot to write down when I put them in. Opened bator to turn this morning, 5 had hatched, guess Ill stop turning:)

7. chickenfanatic

chickenfanatic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    deming new mexico
    its the 19th day that matters most to me i turn or not on 18 depends on how im feeling

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by