Do I use or NOT USE ACV for the treatment of sour crop ?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by math ace, Dec 19, 2010.

1. math ace

math ace Overrun With Chickens

Dec 17, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    I have read several threads that said use ACV as part of the treatment of sour crop.
    I just stumbled across another posting that strongly protested the use of acv for sour crop.

Those of you with experience in treating sour crop - - - what seemed to work for you? Did ACV make a difference?

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Ever since my hens started laying throughout all the years, I've added ACV to their water and have never experienced any kind of crop issues. (Knock on wood)

3. RhodeIslandRedFan

RhodeIslandRedFan Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2009
    Central PA
    math ace - I don't have any experience with sour crop, but I've been doing some research. It is hard to know what to do when you are faced with an illness and there are differing opinions. I found this thread (link below - post #2) with some advice given by speckledhen. I believe she has a lot of experience with chickens and may be one of the moderators of this site. If faced with sour crop in one of my hens I would follow the advice she gives in this thread. Good luck with finding the best treatment for your hen, and I hope you get her back in shape soon.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=4572202#p4572202

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by