Do indoor birds stink?

I guess I could get someone to take care of them ( by the way I don't actually have any indoor birds yet I'm justing thinking about it) because we have someone take care of all our other animals. But my mom doesn't like the ideae of inside birds. She says that then someone will have to come and take care of them while we are on vacation ( they would also have to come into are house to feed them bacause all the other animals are outside).

I have a parrotlet named kiWi
love.gif
for ten years and if you clean his cage (its HUGE and he's smaller than a lovebird) weekly there is no smell. I use the care fresh paper litter in the bottom of his cage. I also change his feed and water daily. When I give him fresh food I remove it a couple of hours later and toss it out as that can get spoiled. I have a house sitter live at my home while I vacation as we have 2 dogs, 2 kitties, 2 ponds and soon to have chickens. I make small containers with each day's supply of food for KiWi so she just has to dump all the old and replace with the new and change his water (its bottled spring water as the chlorine is bad for birds). I also put in a few millet sprays for a treat while we are gone. I make containers of food for the pond fish as well.

Quote:
I do this too for when we have to be away. I write up a sheet, put bags of snacks labeled with every birds/dogs/cats names on them etc and any treats.

It's a great idea. I'm a bit OCD when it comes to stuff like that so I write their habits and stuff they might do so our sitter knows what to expect
smile.png

I have two cages of finches (one has 2 and one has 3) I feed and water them on Wednesdays and Sunday nights. I change their paper every 2 weeks. This is the winter routine...in the summer I up it to feeding M, W and F and changing the cage every week. I dont have any smell with them at all. TErrio

When I had my zebra finches and red eared waxbills they had fresh food and fresh water every day. I cleaned their cage weekly (huge flight cage). My zebras lived a good long life --the female got egg bound at 11
sad.png
and didn't make it and the male lived past 14 years. The waxbills--the female until 13 years and the , male 15 1/2 years! I really believe fresh food and water is important. They are fun little birds but if not cleaned at least weekly I think they can smell a little. I loved the cute "beeps" the zebras made
big_smile.png

Pair of cockatiels. Caged cleaned once a week, every Thursday morning.
Our trash day.

Do they smell? No. Keep a clean cage.

These cockatiels don't actually live IN the cage. They prefer life ON the cage.
Let out every day, they set on the top of their cage most of the time. Don't fly
much. But they can, if scared. They go in and out at will. Locked up at night.

Funny part...another cage in the living room. They wobble in there at night, watch
tv with us. Like people. Actually they like strange peoples fingers to bite. Don't reach
for my birds...they will bite you.

But good company. They whistle and sing.

3 Amazons parrots in my house. I put down layers of newpaper once a week and pull out a layer everyday or every other day. No smell, except the musk smell of the birds, which is almost a sweet smell. But lots of white dust if I don't run a air purifier. I would never leave mine for a week, even with drip bottles for water. Too great a risk of them knocking the bottle off or running out of water. Food only last 2 or 3 days with the cups full.

Back
Top Bottom