Do Jerseys usually talk a lot??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by JaciesCoop, Jul 26, 2008.

1. JaciesCoop

JaciesCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2007
    Arizona
    My 2 jersey giant girls who are now 4 mos. old are real talkers. If I go out they both immediately start purring. Some people call it growling, I call it purring.

The minute I speak to them they start and don't get quiet until I go in the house.
    It's such a sweet sound and they seem to love to converse.

Is this normal behavior for Jerseys?

They don't seem to have anything wrong with them. Just like to talk.

So different from my cochins. Who cluck but don't purr.
    Jacie

Last edited: Jul 26, 2008
  2. 1mommahen

1mommahen Love My Cluckin' Coop

Mar 20, 2008
    NJ
    Jacies, I first thought you meant PEOPLE from Jersey talking alot! LOL I would qualify as I am from there and do that! Don't know about the chickens, sorry![​IMG]

3. JaciesCoop

JaciesCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2007
    Arizona
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Guess I didn't make myself too clear!! [​IMG]

4. erthymom2

erthymom2 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    My Golden comets purr and click at me whenever they see me - they keep up a running dialog while i'm with them and if they hear me talking outside their pen.
    My Barred rocks cluck under their breath and sqeek once and a while - i think they realize when I'm not paying attention.

5. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    My Jersey Giant roo talks the most out of all my birds. A large variety of noises and sounds too.

-Kim

Last edited: Jul 26, 2008
  6. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Our Black Star is the local talker. She coos, twitters, chirps, peeps, and purrs al the time. Just warms the heart!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    I can't hear who is saying what with the 93 I have!
    If the Jersey's are talking more then they have to come up to my lounge chair for me to hear them but then anytime one of them comes up to me he/she has plenty to tell me! Usually it is to ask if I have a special treat or can I go dig in the garden so they can find the bugs easier.
    My little rotten monsters. I love them all.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by