Do Jungle Fowl Need More Coop Space???

Happy Chicken Mama

Songster
12 Years
Apr 23, 2007
Florida
Hello all of you jungle fowl lovers!

I am considering getting a few (like four) jungle fowl type birds. I have only had Cochicns, Aracaunas & silkies so far. Right now we do a combonation of intigrated coop/run & free range.

What are the space requirements for these birds??? Is it different than other chickens?????

Do they do well in a run or do they need some space to ROAM.?.

Thanks!

The more space, the happier the chicken. My birds like to free range, too. In fact, they are definitely not good cage/run birds, and they let me know it every morning. I have a 15 x 10 run attached to their 7 x 7 coop, and with just my 2 girls they'll squawk and holler all morning until I let them out to free range. I'm not sure about the general space requirements, but that's just how mine are.

Good luck!
smile.png

My thoughts are because I have Spanish Jerezano's...Whatever anyone says. TRIPLE it!
big_smile.png

And NEVER, NEVER let the hens alone without a rooster. I learned my lesson after having a separate pen for each hen when the one roo died and I had to put the other rooster in fast. There was no time to get them aquainted.
th.gif

I thought I would move him next to the coop and run. Nope, the girls immediately started trying to kill each other before I could get him in. 2 girls went in sick bay until the blood stopped and the wounds healed.
barnie.gif

They are in temporary housing until my super coop comes tomorrow.
celebrate.gif

I would say it depends on where you buy the birds from. I had 5 hatchery jungle fowl for a couple of years and kept them in a 8x12 coop with 15 other chickens for the winter and they seamed to be like any other chicken and they looked more like a brwon leghorn any way. Game fowl would have killed each other, but these birds rarely fought. I havn't got around to (real) pure jungle fowl yet. but talking to people who have, you would want to raise them "more like pheasants". maybe 10 sq. ft per bird (run space). confined coop space should be fine for the winter as long as there is places for birds to hide and escape each other. For happy jungle fowl I would keep them outside as much as possible with trees or tall roosts for roosting. And you might want to start of with a top net covered run because they do run away and go feral (for as long as the cats don't get to them). But they might hang around the property like peacocks as long as they know where the food is.

Back
Top Bottom