Do "lap chickens" really exist?

I hear/see this term thrown around fairly frequently, and it makes me curious. How many (if any) of you have or know a chicken that genuinely will come sit/lay in your lap just because they enjoy it? Not for food, to peck at jewelry, etc. but simply because it enjoys lap-sitting?

Thanks for any input!

Attachments

• 20180131_223936-1.jpg
    20180131_223936-1.jpg
    399 KB · Views: 7
Had a buff orpington who would come to me as I sat in a chair, raise her chest for me to pick her up. Once in my lap she would snuggle up against me while I stroked her back, crop, wattles or her shanks. She did not care too much for touching her comb, but anywhere else was OK. She never required food,treats or any attractant - she just wanted to be held. She would stay until she had to go & hop down. Once she waited too long & the disappointment actually showed on her face. Contrary to people thinking chickens don't feel. they all do to varying degrees, but this one was really able to relate, well beyond the others, and I didn't get her until she was 20 weeks old, and then from a pen of at least 2 dozen. Sadly she died prematurely from a case of sour crop which became impacted from eating too much grass. The vet tried to save her, but was unsuccessful. Losing this one was harder than all of the others put together. I have another buff but she will never be the same as that one, and actually is not as friendly as any of my other birds. I'm still looking for another one like the one described.

Oh! I've had one lap chicken who loved to sit and cuddle with me! I was always a little nervous with her getting close to my skin (mites salminela etc.) but I always washed my hands after. She was so lovey! just wanted to play with me, go for walks with me, and even cuddle with me! and none of my other chickens would ever do that! :lol: Yes there is such thing as "lap chickens!"

I have so many "lap chickens"

I have a couple EE RIR hens that I hatched and raised over a year ago. The first 2 ended up being the sweetest. Levi and Penguin. Levi will often jump on my shoulder, head or back just to say hi for a bit. Penguin likes when I cup my hands around her to pick her up (but sometimes I just cup my hands around her without lifting and wiggle her around, and she finds that equally awesome) The both of them like being picked up for short amounts of time and occasionally like to sit on our laps and snuggle

I had a EE Ameracauna hen I hatched named Santa (we had to get rid of most our chickens because the limit in our neighborhood, but i'm sad about that now because we ended up going way over the limit anyways) Ever since she was a baby, she was obsessed with us. Every time a hand would go into the brooder, she would quickly wiggle her way into it to be picked up. As she was growing up she stayed like that and would often hang out on our arms or shoulders. Chickens always seem to change when they hit adult hood sadly. She was still nice and liked snuggles and being pet but she became a bit more skittish and only came for attention when she wanted it.

I have 2 spangled OEGB hens I bought as babies from a feed store. When they were young they were crazy and hated us. But the older they got, the nicer they got. Pinky was the first to warm up to us. All of a sudden one day, she would just start walking up to us to be picked up if we put our hands out. I think it was some sort of reflex (is that the right word idk?) because now she has this thing where if I call out her name she will automatically get into the mating position haha. Mustache Man was always the colder one that never warmed up to us. But now she has been having some unresolved issues with her health so she's staying in the house. A few times, we allowed her to roam the house for a bit and she would just follow me and jump into my lap when I sat down. Or when I'm caring for the brooder babies, she'll jump in the plant next to me and take a nap. Today I was trying to get her to try and lay an egg in the coop while I dusted everyone with diatomaceous earth, but she would not leave me alone. I would go in the coop and she would chase me around. Then jump up on the boards and walk back and forth across them, following me and making noises at me. I bent over and she jumped on my back, where she rode around for a bit as I was working. She jumped down and gave me a break for a bit. Then I started chasing the chickens around to hold them for dusting and Mustache Man jumped on my head. She stayed up there the whole time I ran around catching and dusting chickens. Later, when we were back in the house she sat at the kitchen table with me for a few hours. Also I forgot, the first time she was put in the house, she snuggled in a blanket and watched movies with the family for hours and hours.

I have a silkie silver sebright hen that I hatched and her name is Mobaby. She has to be my favorite. This thing is so cute and loves me so much. She is so polite and just an awesome chicken. How it all started was one day she had seen me giving holding and giving Pinky attention, so she got curious and walked up to me. I held her and gave her attention and since that moment she's been hooked on it. Every day she walks up to me talking in the cutest little chicken voice. If I don't pick her up at least once she will not be satisfied. She seems to get weirded out and walks away when I pet her more than a few times on the ground. It's always about what she wants tho, like I'll pick her up and stuff but she doesn't like to stay up there for a long time. I don't know what it is, she's just picky hahah. I had to dust her today and I felt so bad holding her upside down by her legs, but she didn't even care. She just trusts me so much that she didn't freak out one bit or even make a noise. Then after, I just put her on the ground and she was a happy nice little Mobaby as always. She does get jealous often. If I'm holding someone else she will stand by my feet and make herself noticed. Like I have to put whoever it is down and pick her up.

(ima put more stories here later, i have so many more)

if you want a really friendly pet, just get some broad breasted white pullets. they are all so funny and cuddly. they chase me around the yard and at night time they try to go to sleep around me (like some go under me when I'm collecting eggs and some try and go up my pantsleg when I'm just standing there)

when hatching babies, i noticed there is always one baby that will be obsessed with people

Last edited:
I have so many "lap chickens"

I have a couple EE RIR hens that I hatched and raised over a year ago. The first 2 ended up being the sweetest. Levi and Penguin. Levi will often jump on my shoulder, head or back just to say hi for a bit. Penguin likes when I cup my hands around her to pick her up (but sometimes I just cup my hands around her without lifting and wiggle her around, and she finds that equally awesome) The both of them like being picked up for short amounts of time and occasionally like to sit on our laps and snuggle

I had a EE Ameracauna hen I hatched named Santa (we had to get rid of most our chickens because the limit in our neighborhood, but i'm sad about that now because we ended up going way over the limit anyways) Ever since she was a baby, she was obsessed with us. Every time a hand would go into the brooder, she would quickly wiggle her way into it to be picked up. As she was growing up she stayed like that and would often hang out on our arms or shoulders. Chickens always seem to change when they hit adult hood sadly. She was still nice and liked snuggles and being pet but she became a bit more skittish and only came for attention when she wanted it.

I have 2 spangled OEGB hens I bought as babies from a feed store. When they were young they were crazy and hated us. But the older they got, the nicer they got. Pinky was the first to warm up to us. All of a sudden one day, she would just start walking up to us to be picked up if we put our hands out. I think it was some sort of reflex (is that the right word idk?) because now she has this thing where if I call out her name she will automatically get into the mating position haha. Mustache Man was always the colder one that never warmed up to us. But now she has been having some unresolved issues with her health so she's staying in the house. A few times, we allowed her to roam the house for a bit and she would just follow me and jump into my lap when I sat down. Or when I'm caring for the brooder babies, she'll jump in the plant next to me and take a nap. Today I was trying to get her to try and lay an egg in the coop while I dusted everyone with diatomaceous earth, but she would not leave me alone. I would go in the coop and she would chase me around. Then jump up on the boards and walk back and forth across them, following me and making noises at me. I bent over and she jumped on my back, where she rode around for a bit as I was working. She jumped down and gave me a break for a bit. Then I started chasing the chickens around to hold them for dusting and Mustache Man jumped on my head. She stayed up there the whole time I ran around catching and dusting chickens. Later, when we were back in the house she sat at the kitchen table with me for a few hours. Also I forgot, the first time she was put in the house, she snuggled in a blanket and watched movies with the family for hours and hours.

I have a silkie silver sebright hen that I hatched and her name is Mobaby. She has to be my favorite. This thing is so cute and loves me so much. She is so polite and just an awesome chicken. How it all started was one day she had seen me giving holding and giving Pinky attention, so she got curious and walked up to me. I held her and gave her attention and since that moment she's been hooked on it. Every day she walks up to me talking in the cutest little chicken voice. If I don't pick her up at least once she will not be satisfied. She seems to get weirded out and walks away when I pet her more than a few times on the ground. It's always about what she wants tho, like I'll pick her up and stuff but she doesn't like to stay up there for a long time. I don't know what it is, she's just picky hahah. I had to dust her today and I felt so bad holding her upside down by her legs, but she didn't even care. She just trusts me so much that she didn't freak out one bit or even make a noise. Then after, I just put her on the ground and she was a happy nice little Mobaby as always. She does get jealous often. If I'm holding someone else she will stand by my feet and make herself noticed. Like I have to put whoever it is down and pick her up.

(ima put more stories here later, i have so many more)

when hatching babies, i noticed there is always one baby that will be obsessed with people
This thread is from 2016 😅
Cute stories though!

I hear/see this term thrown around fairly frequently, and it makes me curious. How many (if any) of you have or know a chicken that genuinely will come sit/lay in your lap just because they enjoy it? Not for food, to peck at jewelry, etc. but simply because it enjoys lap-sitting?

Thanks for any input!
Oh yes!! I have a buff Orpington named Twinky and she LOVES to be held and petted! :hugs
If I am sitting down, she will come and stand by me until I pick her up, then she settles down and all but falls asleep on my lap! She's so sweet! :love
She get jealous when I hold other hens, and tries to peck them, she does that little suspicious walk- fake pecking at the ground that roosters do and edges her way closer so she can get to them. The she chases them away when I put them down.
After that, she comes to me to be cuddled:gig
Twinky is my little lap chicken!! :hugs

Back
Top Bottom