1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Do lavender orpingtons go broody?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by HenHouse10C, Nov 19, 2015.

1. HenHouse10C

HenHouse10C Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2015
    FL Panhandle
    I have a lavender orpington hen that I'm trying to encourage to go broody. I know you cannot force a hen to be broody but I've read if you leave her eggs in the nest she may decide to set after so many have collected. Right now there's 6. My rooster died last week so I want to hatch his (and her babies). My questions are, do lavender orpingtons go broody easily? And about how many eggs should I expect in her clutch if/when she decides to brood?

2. HenHouse10C

Apr 12, 2015
    FL Panhandle
    If it makes a difference, she's from a breeder, not a hatchery .

3. Alex1010

Alex1010 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2015
    North Carolina
    It's November she probably won't go broody sorry

4. HenHouse10C

Apr 12, 2015
    FL Panhandle
    Well I live in FL and it's still warm here. I've had 3 other hens broody in the last month.

5. brummie

brummie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2013
    They can go broody. My lav orp went broody in the summer. But she was a terible broody. Put eggs under her. She would have hatched some, but as the chicks started hatchin, she started killing them by pecking them to death. She obviously did not want to mother them. Needless to say she found her way to the pot after she put a bit of weight back on.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by