Do male goats get aggressive as they age?

farmgirl2477

Songster
12 Years
Apr 2, 2007
Oviedo, FL
I have 2 pygmy goats that are now about 3.5 years old. Romp, the male is becoming a ^(*&(*)
big_smile.png
Brandy our girl is still as sweet as can be, but Romp usually wont let us give her much attention if hes around. Romp is just becoming a pushy pain in my rear! Its at the point where I have to constantly pet him or hold his horns to make sure he does head butt my knees. I definatly wont let my son out into the area. Today, the thing that irritated me the most was that I couldnt get past Romp when a snake slithered right behind my son. It was just a black snake, but it scared Zach and he wanted mommy. (hes only a year and half, and it was his first snake he has ever seen) Zach came running to the gate, I had to battle Romp to get out.

I just cant tell if he is just jelous, or if he is becoming aggressive. He seems lovey at times. Rubbing his head on my leg and stuff. I used to spend a great deal more time with them, but since my son came along, that just doesnt happen. Even when I try to go sit and read with them he just butts the back of my chair. Today I went to brush him and he just got mad at the brush.

So is it because hes a male, or is he jelous and more time putting up with his bull headedness will fix? Oh, he is fixed (not sure what its called for a goat
lol.png
)

Thanks,
Shannon

Our pygmy is like that too. We do not play with him he is too rough. I am beginning to think all pygmys are like that. I would just do what we do. We trained our goat to be tethered and he just is staked out in a nice lush area to eat as he will and we bring him water. If the weather looks really bad we put him somewhere he can crawl under for protection, like our trailer we use for trash or some such like that. He doesn't care and is fat and sassy.

Really I would not battle him.

Arklady

Shannon

If you are holding on to his horns, you are teaching him to be aggressive.

We don't allow our billy's to rub on us. It's not an affectionate gesture from them. It's a gesture to show you who is in charge. (If I can push you around, I'm the boss) type thing.

We only pet the goats on their neck and bodies, never the head.

Goats ears are very sensitive, I have one Pygmy billy that would bite & butt when we got him. I took a switch from a tree & would pop him on his ears & say NO, when he would start pushing & butting.
It didn't take but 2 days & now he won't even try it with strangers unless they push on his head.

You might try this.
And a fixed male is a wether. (sp)

Jean

Hi we just got a billy about a month ago at the farmers market. We thought he was just a young nubian (cause of his big floppy ears) but in the month we have had him he has never gotten any bigger. So we are guessing he is a dwaft "something" Anyway to head off the aggressive nature of billies we desided to have him fixed. Since he is a pet we figured it was better safe the sorry. He is not fixed yet and he has never even been the sightest bit aggressive or nasty. He is a big sweety and acts alot like a dog, wants to go for walks and be close to us.

I kinda think you problem is the breed, my husband's monther raises pygmys and ever billy she has had in ten years has been mean no matter what age it was.

i cant speak for the bucks of the pygmy breed but i know our doe is super tame and gentle. she's leash broken and loves car rides. she will chase you down for a bag of bugles though, lol

Last edited:
I think ill try the switch idea. Seems simple enough. I didnt realized the rubbing thing was bad. I thought it was like a cat, and he was showing his affection LOL. As for holding the horns, It wasnt much of an option. It was hold em, or have him butt my knees!

Thanks for you opinions.
Shannon

Just don't let him rub his head on you. Leaning against you with his body is OK, but not his head.

I know the first instinct is to grab his horns to protect yourself. Try even thumping him on his ears with your middle finger & thumb. You will be amazed at how well it works.

Jean

Well DH tried the flicking the ear thing today, and it seemed to work wonders. Only took acouple of times with him, but hes never been as aggressive with him as he has been with me. Might take a few more times, but ill definatly be trying that method!

Ill keep ya posted,
Thanks
Shannon

Do you think male goats are more aggressive to females because of our hormones? Our male pygmy goats act toward me the way he does when our female goat is around but they don't act that way toward my husband.

Do your male goats sneeze and roll their lips? I call it the Elvis look. Again they only do this to me and the female goat.

jackie

Romp doesnt act that way toward my husband either, so maybe they do know the difference between human males and females.

Occasionally I hear him sneeze and what I think is rolling the lips. I think its cute, but is it actually a sign of aggression?

btw, the flicking of the ears has worked wonders!!! I just use my fingers, so its not too hard, but good enough. He has completly turned around in such a short time!

Good luck with your goats
shannon

Back
Top Bottom