Do Muscovy ducks need special feed? And do they get along with standard Mallard-derived breeds

marvun22

Songster
7 Years
Jul 8, 2012
North Dakota
Guess who just found someone in the area willing to unload a trio of mature Muscovy ducks for $35?
woot.gif
They're going to be picked up on Sunday. I'm probably going to lock them in my duck coop for a month or two to get them used to my farm. But here's my 4 problems:

1: What kind of feed do they eat? I know naturally, Muscovies love to forage for their food. But I'd prefer for them not to run/fly away. If nothing else, this'll just appease my mind, closing them in for a month or two. I have standard Nutrena Naturewise All-Flock pellets (that's what I feed my ducks/geese).

2:Is there anything special Muscovies need? This is other than food. My other ducks literally just need pellets and water. Do Muscovies need anything different than what I do for the normal ducks?

3: How do they get along with my other ducks? There's a reason I've considered buying ducks in the first place. I had 22 ducks or so at one point. I gave five away to a neighbor. And I've steadily lost the rest to foxes or whatever other predator is causing this. My numbers are now down to 5 (all female, if their could ever be a silver lining to this duck massacre that's been taking place). Needless to say, my geese are really ignoring their duties. But the problem is that the geese want to go far around my property, while the ducks don't go that far from the barn, which is where I'm assuming the predator gets them. I'm wondering if the Muscovies would cooperate with my other ducks. For one, I don't want fighting ducks. And for two, maybe the Muscovies can go with the ducks and their presence could deter predators.

4: Would they get along with geese? I have this male goose that acts like every male goose in the history of the world. He is very arrogant and all those other male goose characteristics. I've heard Muscovies can be up to 15 pounds and I know my male African is probably around that weight. Is there any potential for bad fighting, especially in the coop where each male would have 2 nesters to defend (2 Muscovy females I'm getting for the Male Muscovy to defend and 1 African and 1 Embden goose for the male African to defend)?

Any other tips for Muscovies also would be appreciated.

Last edited:
I dont think you need to keep them in the coop for that long. couple of weeks, or maybe even couple of days, is enough.
1. They dont need anything special other than layers pellets. They will eat more insects, snails, slugs, frogs, etc.
2. Not really. Some of them like sleeping on roosts like chickens.
3. If they have enough space they actually dont mix with each other that much. in breeding season (now) they try mating with each other... and they might not like it. At the moment muscovy drake rapes campbell drakes!!!
4. Same as for ducks. the same muscovy drake was attacking ganders in autumn and winter. I had an African gander who was the victim - although bigger than the drake.

I dont think you need to keep them in the coop for that long. couple of weeks, or maybe even couple of days, is enough.
1. They dont need anything special other than layers pellets. They will eat more insects, snails, slugs, frogs, etc.
2. Not really. Some of them like sleeping on roosts like chickens.
3. If they have enough space they actually dont mix with each other that much. in breeding season (now) they try mating with each other... and they might not like it. At the moment muscovy drake rapes campbell drakes!!!
4. Same as for ducks. the same muscovy drake was attacking ganders in autumn and winter. I had an African gander who was the victim - although bigger than the drake.
Thank you. And you're sure two weeks would be enough?

Hi marvun22, I have two Muscovies along with five Indian Runners and two Rouens. They all get along fine, but the Muscovies definitely speak a different language. I don't think that the other ducks know what the Muscovies are saying. It's like the Rouens and the Runners can communicate with each other, but the Muscovies are lost in translation. I feed them the same food that you do, and they're doing well on it. Mine are quite the foodies and like whatever scraps I give them as well. They aren't as obsessed with water as the Rouens and Runners are; they like it fine, but they take a bath and get out instead of spending all day in the tub like the others do. I had to clip one of my Muscovy's wings because she could fly beautifully. I was sad to do it but didn't want to take the chance on losing her. Fortunately she hasn't held it against me, although just a word of caution if you do this, Muscovies have super sharp claws, much more so than the other ducks. So be careful of flailing feet!

All my birds are females except for two Runner drakes, who ignore the Muscovies. I didn't have any problems introducing the Muscovies to the flock, the Rouens were curious and the Runners were leery of them, but no fights or anything. Good luck!

I have 3 Muscovy's that were in with 15 khaki Campbell and 20 chickens they did just fine. The only reason that they are separated now is because of breeding season. But still my muscovies are in with my cochin bantams and my khaki's are in with my mixed LF hens. I feed everyone the same food no soy, no gmo crumbles. I add water to the food or the chickens will have it all over the place and my ducks seem to like it better in the water.

When I bring home new Muscovy's or anything I clip the wings and turn them out into the pen. I keep them in for 24 to 48 hours depending on how wild they are. If they are really wild then I keep them in for longer. But with all the good treats that I give ONLY in the pen everyone seems to know that is the treat spot. After the first wing clip depending on how flighty they are depends on if I clip anymore. My khaki's I only had to clip once they have no desire to fly off.

Back
Top Bottom