Do my birds still need the heat lamp?

KathyK

Songster
10 Years
Dec 10, 2009
Liberty Hill, TX
They are 4 weeks old. I have been running the heat lamp in their tractor when temps drop below 50 degrees. Most nights it has been in the 30's with daytime highs in the 60's. I go out at night and they are nicely huddled under the light. I've read that they shouldn't need extra heat when fully feathered. Being Cornish Crosses, they don't really fully feather... ever. Here is a pic showing the various stages they are in. I'd love to be able to not have the heat lamp on at night, but don't want to stress them or have them smother each other trying to keep warm. We are supposed to have some cold days ahead with rain and daytime highs only in the 40's. Thanks for your input.
45558_img_0278.jpg

Well...I'm no expert by far...but mine have been outside since they were 3 weeks old and I haven't bothered with a light at all! We are now at the 6 week mark and admittedly a little on the small side (at least according to my friend whose daughter raises them to show every year)...right at 4 lbs each...actually probably more as I haven't weighed any of them in a while and I'm just guessing at what I feel when i heft one up in my arms. I also restrict their feed probably just a little more than most - the get 8 to 10 hours of feed every day because I'm just not going out any earlier or later than I already do, especially as dark and cold as it is out here at night!

I would say you should be fine - your temps sound much the same as ours - just be ready to turn the light on again if it gets REALLY cold outta nowhere...you know how this crazy Texas weather is and all
smile.png

I'd rather run a heat lamp than lose any of them. It's not for very long. However, they can handle weather colder than 50 degrees. Maybe turn the heat on at 40 degrees. You can get a plug-in thermostat that will turn the heat lamp on for you when the coop gets cold.

It's going to make a huge difference what sort of housing they have. If they are out of the wind, it is different than if there is a 30 mph 32 degree wind blowing on them all night.

I don't worry about my ducks, but the ducks are wearing thick down coats. The Cornish Cross don't have much insulation.

Yeah, I need to get one of those plug in thermostats. The coop is covered with a tarp on 3 sides, so they are out of the wind, but no insulation at all.

Quote:
That is SO true! I noticed the other day (last week maybe) that one had been sitting on TOP of the thermometer in the brooder - NO HEAT LAMP ON - just room temp and the house was in the low 70's...THAT THERMOMETER READ 115 when I pulled it out from under that 2 week old chick! I'm sure the chicks themselves are a little cooler - but being squished between it and the shavings it was TOASTY!

Back
Top Bottom