Brooder Heat clarification

Chixadee

Chirping
Jan 14, 2024
Last year my brooder set up (inside) was a heat plate and heat lamp. After time I took away the heat lamp and had ceramic heater to supplement room temperature. They arrived lated February and all was well. Have 15 arriving the same time and was wondering do I actually need the heat lamp with heat plate? Or can I just use heat plate and ceramic heater from the start? My goal is outside brooding, I am just not there yet. I've had a momma hen hatch this fall and it made me rethink this whole 5 degrees a week criteria. Chicks were fully feathered but dipped into 30s and all worked out fine. Well, except that they're all roosters😂 Thank you for your valuable input.

do I actually need the heat lamp with heat plate? Or can I just use heat plate and ceramic heater from the start?

What is the temperature in the room, with no extra heat at all? That can make a big difference in how much other heat you need to provide.

Last year my brooder set up (inside) was a heat plate and heat lamp. After time I took away the heat lamp and had ceramic heater to supplement room temperature. They arrived lated February and all was well. Have 15 arriving the same time and was wondering do I actually need the heat lamp with heat plate? Or can I just use heat plate and ceramic heater from the start? My goal is outside brooding, I am just not there yet. I've had a momma hen hatch this fall and it made me rethink this whole 5 degrees a week criteria. Chicks were fully feathered but dipped into 30s and all worked out fine. Well, except that they're all roosters😂 Thank you for your valuable input.
For shipped chicks, I would probably use the heat lamp for about the first 24 hours. That will help them all get warmed up, eating and drinking, and somewhat recovered from being shipped. After that, the air temperature will determine whether you need any heat beyond what the heat plate provides.

In general, yes, providing just one warm place (broody hen or heat plate) can be enough, and the chicks run out to eat and run back to warm up.

Shipped chicks are a little different right at first: they are cold and hungry and thirsty all at once, and they do not know which thing is warm (because brooder plates and heat lamps do not cluck like a mother hen). The heat lamp attracts them with its light, and they can eat/drink/get warm all at the same time. Once they are warm and have a few good meals, shipped chicks will be about the same as ones with a broody hen, able to move back and forth between warm and cool areas as needed.

What is the temperature in the room, with no extra heat at all? That can make a big difference in how much other heat you need to provide.

For shipped chicks, I would probably use the heat lamp for about the first 24 hours. That will help them all get warmed up, eating and drinking, and somewhat recovered from being shipped. After that, the air temperature will determine whether you need any heat beyond what the heat plate provides.

In general, yes, providing just one warm place (broody hen or heat plate) can be enough, and the chicks run out to eat and run back to warm up.

Shipped chicks are a little different right at first: they are cold and hungry and thirsty all at once, and they do not know which thing is warm (because brooder plates and heat lamps do not cluck like a mother hen). The heat lamp attracts them with its light, and they can eat/drink/get warm all at the same time. Once they are warm and have a few good meals, shipped chicks will be about the same as ones with a broody hen, able to move back and forth between warm and cool areas as needed.
Thank you! Old house on a good day 68? Yes! I read here about shipped chixs being different. Now that you mentioned it, my chixs last year didn't go to the heat plate right away. I think I turned it off at night, the lamp. I appreciate your detailed reply as it confirms my thoughts process. Very helpful.

Thank you! Old house on a good day 68? Yes! I read here about shipped chixs being different. Now that you mentioned it, my chixs last year didn't go to the heat plate right away. I think I turned it off at night, the lamp. I appreciate your detailed reply as it confirms my thoughts process. Very helpful.

Check the label on your brooder plate, but most of them are fine in temperatures above 50 degrees (or some temperature close to that.)

So I would probably use heat lamp + brooder plate for the first day or so, then just the brooder plate with no heat lamp or other heater.

Do watch the chicks after you quit using the heat lamp. If they are huddling and peeping (cold), tuck them under the brooder plate so they learn it is warm. If they are still cold under the brooder plate, they might need an extra heat source for a few more days. If they are not coming out at all to eat, maybe turn the heat lamp on again for a little while and see if that helps them figure it out. Again, a few days can make a big difference, because chicks learn things pretty quickly, and grow fast.

Depending on how well-lit the room is, you might want to provide an ordinary light bulb in the daytime, so they can see easily. Darkness at night is fine.

Check the label on your brooder plate, but most of them are fine in temperatures above 50 degrees (or some temperature close to that.)

So I would probably use heat lamp + brooder plate for the first day or so, then just the brooder plate with no heat lamp or other heater.

Do watch the chicks after you quit using the heat lamp. If they are huddling and peeping (cold), tuck them under the brooder plate so they learn it is warm. If they are still cold under the brooder plate, they might need an extra heat source for a few more days. If they are not coming out at all to eat, maybe turn the heat lamp on again for a little while and see if that helps them figure it out. Again, a few days can make a big difference, because chicks learn things pretty quickly, and grow fast.

Depending on how well-lit the room is, you might want to provide an ordinary light bulb in the daytime, so they can see easily. Darkness at night is fine.
Yes! Darkness at night. We get lots of natural light in that room. What you said is what I did last year. Previously it had been just the heat lamp which still makes me nervous. I acquired that laser thermometer to test temps in the brooder last year as well and as the plate is only rated up to 50 degrees. Last year was my first mail order and I tried to be as thorough as I could. I even made everyone a "mash" every morning. Thank you again for your help!

Yes! Darkness at night. We get lots of natural light in that room. What you said is what I did last year. Previously it had been just the heat lamp which still makes me nervous. I acquired that laser thermometer to test temps in the brooder last year as well and as the plate is only rated up to 50 degrees. Last year was my first mail order and I tried to be as thorough as I could. I even made everyone a "mash" every morning. Thank you again for your help!
It sounds like you've got this figured out :thumbsup

Back
Top Bottom