do my chickens have worms?

jstinsmommy

In the Brooder
7 Years
Dec 13, 2012
I have been reading a few different threads on this but i am confused.I walked outside today and there was one of my chickens droppins that has little white sprouts on it. It didnt look like the long worms that most threads are talking about. I am worried it might be worms. Also, last night i did notice later at night my chickens were picking at something. i went outside and it was an egg that one of them layed that the shell did not harden. Then my next question is, if these are worms, is it safe to treat my other girls at the same time? and while you treat them, are the eggs safe to eat? Thank you in advance for any help you can offer.

Thank you so very my for all the info. I have separated each of my hens and inspected their droppings. Not one of them had anything like the one I saw that day. Is it possible I jumped the gun on it? I did however go and buy some wormer and am starting Treatment cycle anyway.
One will not always be able to see evidence of worms in droppings, vet with scopes included, which is why I think fecals are a waste of money.
big_smile.png

Here's what you need, you can order Zimectrin Gold from Jefferslivestock.com or call them...the same for Valbazen, they ship quick:
http://www.jefferspet.com/zimecterin-gold/camid/EQU/cp/M0-Z2/
Wazine only gets rid of large roundworms, it will NOT kill tapeworms.
When you go to feed stores, dont ask for a chicken wormer...technically wazine is the only wormer approved for chickens and that's what store employees will sell you. Forget the wazine and buy the Zimectrin Gold....it's a horse wormer. OR if they got Valbazen, buy that.

Last edited:
They all eat from the same dirt and if one is that loaded with worms to pass visible segments, then the chances are very high that they are all infected.

Follow Dawgs advice, get them on a schedule try to hit around spring and fall moult, less eggs lost during that time.. Some people weird out over giving them meds but both drugs recommended are used to treat parasites in humans . See the link for further info. http://www.livestrong.com/article/216236-medications-to-treat-human-worms/

I do mine at night from the roost with a helper as far as the liquid wormer given orally, give a squirt and helper puts them in the run until all are done then let them back into the coop. It goes faster for a large number of birds.

Had to edit the first sentence I should proof read better..

Last edited:
Hi,
Do you then worm your chickens ?
With what and how often ?
Thanks.
mg

Safeguard/Panacur (fenbendazole 10%) liquid or paste. You can find it in any feed store in the horse, cattle/goat section. It's used in sick kittens, puppies, foals, pregnant mares, reptiles all avian species and all other mammals.

I dose 50mg/kg by mouth and repeat in 10 days. Warning - Safeguard/Panacur should not be used during a molt.

LL

Last edited:
no, it didnt look like that. this just looked like little white sprouts. nothing big or anything

sorry its so big, i just copied and pasted an image that i saw on line. it looks more like the portion on the right.

Back
Top Bottom