do my chickens have worms?

Here's what you need, you can order Zimectrin Gold from Jefferslivestock.com or call them...the same for Valbazen, they ship quick:
http://www.jefferspet.com/zimecterin-gold/camid/EQU/cp/M0-Z2/
Wazine only gets rid of large roundworms, it will NOT kill tapeworms.
When you go to feed stores, dont ask for a chicken wormer...technically wazine is the only wormer approved for chickens and that's what store employees will sell you. Forget the wazine and buy the Zimectrin Gold....it's a horse wormer. OR if they got Valbazen, buy that.

Last edited:
ok, so i need to get that stuff. I have a few more questions. do i need to treat my yard?

ok, so i need to get that stuff. I have a few more questions. do i need to treat my yard?
Treating the yard would be a waste of time and money. Worm oocysts are everywhere in the soil, on grass and bugs. It's easier and cheaper to start a routine worming schedule. Your soil dictates how often you should worm your chickens. If you live in an area where your soil is moist and warm most of the time, it might be necessary to worm several times or more a year. If your soil is cool, dry, rocky/mountainous or desertlike...it might be necessary to worm once or twice a year. The easiest way to keep track is simply write on a calendar what day you wormed and what wormer you used. Then you'll know when they were last wormed for future wormings.

Thank you so very my for all the info. I have separated each of my hens and inspected their droppings. Not one of them had anything like the one I saw that day. Is it possible I jumped the gun on it? I did however go and buy some wormer and am starting Treatment cycle anyway.

Thank you so very my for all the info. I have separated each of my hens and inspected their droppings. Not one of them had anything like the one I saw that day. Is it possible I jumped the gun on it? I did however go and buy some wormer and am starting Treatment cycle anyway.
One will not always be able to see evidence of worms in droppings, vet with scopes included, which is why I think fecals are a waste of money.
big_smile.png

They all eat from the same dirt and if one is that loaded with worms to pass visible segments, then the chances are very high that they are all infected.

Follow Dawgs advice, get them on a schedule try to hit around spring and fall moult, less eggs lost during that time.. Some people weird out over giving them meds but both drugs recommended are used to treat parasites in humans . See the link for further info. http://www.livestrong.com/article/216236-medications-to-treat-human-worms/

I do mine at night from the roost with a helper as far as the liquid wormer given orally, give a squirt and helper puts them in the run until all are done then let them back into the coop. It goes faster for a large number of birds.

Had to edit the first sentence I should proof read better..

Last edited:
They all eat from the same dirt and if one is that loaded with worms to pass visible segments, then the chances are very high that they are all infected.

Follow Dawgs advice, get them on a schedule try to hit around spring and fall moult, less eggs lost during that time.. Some people weird out over giving them meds but both drugs recommended are used to treat parasites in humans . See the link for further info. http://www.livestrong.com/article/216236-medications-to-treat-human-worms/

I do mine at night from the roost with a helper as far as the liquid wormer given orally, give a squirt and helper puts them in the run until all are done then let them back into the coop. It goes faster for a large number of birds.

Had to edit the first sentence I should proof read better..
Good info and good link. However, I rarely recommend worming during molt as some people like to do or recommend. Birds are already under stress during molt, no need to increase stress by worming them them during that time frame. Also, if the wormer safeguard is used...aka panacur/fenbendazole, regrown feathers will be stunted, blunted and knarly looking. It's best to worm birds either before or after molt even if it means tossing eggs for awhile.

FWIW, I have used Safegaurd during molt and have not seen any feather defects. The times that I used it I felt that the risk of parasite danger outweighed the need for a pretty feather coat. So far, so good, all birds have recovered and do look normal. Am I saying to worm during molt? No, of course not. When possible, use a different wormer or wait.

Hello All,

I was sent this thread in response to mine about chickens with diarhea. I have 13 hens ranging from 10 weeks to 2 years and have been keeping chickens for 6 months. No new birds have been introduced in the past 2 months, and all free range my back yard all day. My chickens have always had a more liquidy excrement (like typical bird poo you see outside), but recently a few have had diarrhea. One of my original chickens that started as a day old chick last November died yesterday. Two others from that group have coughs, and one has clear diarrhea. Also a few days ago, I noticed one of my chickens had little yellow circles in the poo as I was cleaning it (not diarrhea). It looks similar to the photo shown with eggs, but they were yellow. I didn't know anything about chicken worming, so I just figured they were seeds since they free range all day. I haven't seen anymore since.

Do you automatically de-worm all your chickens?

Is there an age to do it (like should I avoid the smaller pullets?)

None of mine have molted (3 are adults hens I got at a flock swap about 3 months ago, I was told their ages vary from 1-2 years, I don't know. They have been laying since I've acquired them and haven't molted since I've had them). No new chickens have been introduced since them, and the issue is just starting now. They looked healthy upon buying them. It just felt like it was taking forever for my day old chicks I was raising to being laying, so I added them.

My soil is sand, we live in the sandhills of NC, would I then do this once a year?

Could worming them if they didn't need it kill them?

Sorry I am new to all this, thank you all so much for your help!

Back
Top Bottom