Do my chickens need grit

my chicks are only 13 days old today and i put them in their coop yesterday, permently. but they do not go in the run, yet. today, we let them out in the grass to play for awhile and they were peching or eating the grass and a few other little things they were pecking at. should i offer them grit or are they ok? i just don't want to give it to them too early. what should i do.

Can they get too much grit? I made a sandbox for my 8 week old girls and they just chow on the sand -- no dust bathing which was my intention... The sand is sterilized playground sand -- very fine -- more so than the chick grit I have for them. How do they know when to stop eating grit? Do they just poop out the excess????

I am not sure if they can eat too much grit....., but they should only eat what they need and it stays in the crop and grinds with the food they eat and then it passes, not sure on how long it takes but I'm sure not too long.

Im not sure with parakeet grit, I saw a post the other day that said the calcium or something is added to it that may not be good for chickens, and to stick with chicken grit at the feed store. - I looked, for chicks you shouldn't give it because of the added calcium is not good for them and can cause kidney damage. Sand or dirt is best
smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom