Do My Chicks Hate Me?

ChickenFanatic447

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 30, 2011
Oregon
My chicks will do anything to get away from me when I try holding them. I've already tried breathing gently on them and cupping them with their head sticking out, feeding them treats, and letting them eat out of my hand, but none of them seem to like me at all. My Cuckoo Maran, Australorp, and Plymouth Barred Rock are the ones that seem to be the most freaked out by me. I can't get any of them to come near me or eat from my hand and my neighbors have complained because my Cuckoo Maran keeps chirping really loudly whenever I try holding her, I'm never rough with them and I try my best. Their heartbeats just get so fast and they always try to run away when I come by, they even huddle in the corner of the brooder when they hear me sometimes.
sad.png
Any help?

Note: My Golden Laced Wynadotte, Ameraucana, and Welsummer are progressing a bit, they now trust me and let me hold them sometimes. They know I'm not out to hurt them thankfully.

yes try some chick friendly treats to get them used to you. but my chicks were just like that they ran away from me but now they run to me and they love to cuddle with me. so give them time and then they'll realize that your the one giving them food and water and they will enjoy your company
smile.png

What kind of treats are best?

I am out of grit right now and can't get some until Monday, so are there any treats that you guys know of for 1 week old chicks and 4 day old chicks that don't require grit? I've tried scrambled eggs, hard boiled eggs, etc. but they don't like that.
sad.png
Are crickets okay? I have a bunch of tree frogs so crickets are in abundance.

It's the "teenager" phase. Chickens are food-minded and many desired behaviors can be produced with food bribes. Watermelon, strawberries, cantaloupe, clover, etc. Try sitting with them, on their level, and place bits of treat farther at first, then closer and closer to you and before you know it, you'll feel that little peck on your fingers.

Quote:
Really? Do you live in an apartment? I hope you're zoned for chickens as that neighbor sounds like trouble already. I always use bread, its not nutritious but they love it.

She raises chickens as well and came over, claiming that my Cuckoo Maran was being mistreated and all that jazz. She is rather old and all, but I didn't appreciate that at all. I hope she realizes that I'm just starting out and trying to get them to be as happy as possible.

Mine never enjoyed being handled or held either. And at 2 years old now the only two who really don't mind are my two RIR's. They are all tame and will eat from my hand but really prefer NOT to be held!

Quote:
She raises chickens?! I would've thought she'd know better then, or at least have the experience with how loud chicks can cheep!

Some chickens can be bribed into behaviors that their owners find as affection. It is the chicken's instinct and nature to be wary, as they are nearer the bottom of the food chain than the top. Their instincts tell them to be afraid, wary and jumpy. They calm down considerably as they get used to you. Some become extremely "friendly" or comfortable around you. Many never will and that's ok too. We just let chickens be chickens. If we wanted lap dogs, we could get those.

Just trying to say, stay calm and enjoy them as chickens. It'll be fine.

Back
Top Bottom