Do my chicks have cocci? Or is it intestinal shedding? Pls do help me out !!

chickkie

In the Brooder
Jun 22, 2021
Hello there I’m new to BYC!
I’m really worried about 4 monthed chicks 2 of them might be pullets and a single one a roo. Their mum is currently broody and is avoiding the outdoors and she sits in her basket. One of her chicks , it is pooping bloody with regular poop and bloody sheddings well I’m not sure if it has cocci but I’m really worried i might have to start the anti cocci medicine for my whole flock :( i will try to upload more pics by tomorrow morning if they dirty the whole of the bedding. Also they do roam around the outdoors as i have a muddy backyard with plants and loads of soil here and there

Attachments

• BF2BF62E-0D80-4B70-8875-1D6DAFAB6FB6.jpeg
    BF2BF62E-0D80-4B70-8875-1D6DAFAB6FB6.jpeg
    725.8 KB · Views: 22
  • E44C41D7-69B0-4FD9-BA87-50EE1AD978A0.jpeg
    E44C41D7-69B0-4FD9-BA87-50EE1AD978A0.jpeg
    700.3 KB · Views: 20
It looks like cocci. Probably everyone has it, but your chicks are pretty old so it might only be affecting the weakest one. Cocci(diosis) causes the intestinal shedding

It looks like cocci. Probably everyone has it, but your chicks are pretty old so it might only be affecting the weakest one. Cocci(diosis) causes the intestinal shedding
Hello thankyou for responding,
I had a guess that the whole family of them would have it because the chicks wouldn’t leave the broody mum they would eventually come back and sit with her. Not to worry as i have coccidiostat as a treatment for them and i will mix it in their water from tomorrow morning onwards . I will keep giving my whole flock the treatment water for atleast 7 days

I would begin treating for Coccidiosis.
Since you are in India, you may have different products than we do in the US.
Look for Amprol, Coxoid, Totrazuril or Sulfa antibiotics.
Yes i do have the coccidiostat at home as I purchased amprolium a little while back as a precautionary measure but looks like i will be needing it. i will make sure that the whole flock receives the treatment from the next morning onwards , do you have any idea how much of the quantity am I supposed to mix in about 1 litre of water? Also can i use the same water for the rest of my flock? Or should i add more amount for the elder chickens?

Back
Top Bottom