hen still sick? help!

chickenmamafl

In the Brooder
Jul 21, 2023
About a week ago I posted on here about my sickly, lethargic little hen. (Sebright bantam, 4-4.5 months old, not yet laying)
Everyone encouraged me to treat her with Corid dude to her symptoms.
I didn’t really think she had coccidiosis because she didn’t have bloody diarrhea, didn’t have diarrhea at all and still had a pretty hefty appetite. And she’s been lethargic since around the beginning of June, so I would think that if it were cocci she would have been a goner by now.
Then I found a poop from her with what appears to be blood or something red in it but maybe just regular shedding of intestinal lining? I read somewhere that that’s a thing that happens from time to time?

Ok, well today is day 5 of Corid treatment. She’s no better and no worse which I feel confirms my thought that she didn’t have cocci to begin with. And none of the others have shown any symptoms of it at all, they’re all perfectly fine, active & healthy.

Now, I’m trying to figure out what to do with her next. I’m thinking maybe worm her next? Treat her with permethrin for mites/lice. Treat the coop. I thoroughly cleaned their coop yesterday.
I’m going to Tractor Supply tomorrow.

Should I get some NutriDrench for her?
I think I am back to my original thought that she is anemic or something.

I don’t have tons of money to take her to the vet, so any help or advice is so greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

About a week ago I posted on here about my sickly, lethargic little hen. (Sebright bantam, 4-4.5 months old, not yet laying)
Everyone encouraged me to treat her with Corid dude to her symptoms.
I didn’t really think she had coccidiosis because she didn’t have bloody diarrhea, didn’t have diarrhea at all and still had a pretty hefty appetite. And she’s been lethargic since around the beginning of June, so I would think that if it were cocci she would have been a goner by now.
Then I found a poop from her with what appears to be blood or something red in it but maybe just regular shedding of intestinal lining? I read somewhere that that’s a thing that happens from time to time?

Ok, well today is day 5 of Corid treatment. She’s no better and no worse which I feel confirms my thought that she didn’t have cocci to begin with. And none of the others have shown any symptoms of it at all, they’re all perfectly fine, active & healthy.

Now, I’m trying to figure out what to do with her next. I’m thinking maybe worm her next? Treat her with permethrin for mites/lice. Treat the coop. I thoroughly cleaned their coop yesterday.
I’m going to Tractor Supply tomorrow.

Should I get some NutriDrench for her?
I think I am back to my original thought that she is anemic or something.

I don’t have tons of money to take her to the vet, so any help or advice is so greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
yes, i would try worming her and i don't think NutriDrench would be a bad idea. You could try it. If you check her vent feathers and around her eyes and see no mites or lice, then there is no urgency to treat for them, though, routine prevention treatment is always a good idea. I think you're doing pretty good.

Do you have a photo of the bloody poop? If not, you can look on here for pics of intestinal lining, sorry I am not good with links. If it were me, I would continue the Corid for a couple more days. Do not give nutridrench during Corid treatment or any other vitamin supplement. Corid works by suppressing the B vitamins that the coccidia need to survive and supplements negate that.On a side note, please don't say cocci when you mean coccidia, cocci is a bacteria and coccidia is a parasite. Worming probably won't hurt

Last edited:
What exactly do you feed her?
Do you see lice and or mites on her?

What exactly do you feed her?
Do you see lice and or mites on her?
Nevermind I went to look through your other threads. Did you get something that will actually kill the lice and mites or are you still using Poultry Protector?

Did you stop feeding treats?

Hi, I'm sorry your little friend isn't doing well. I had a few hens over the past few months who were exhibiting similar symptoms. I have used VET RX and found that it is a lifesaver for me. I would literally call it a miracle that all three of the hens that were sick are now thriving because of it. I used it faithfully for a week to treat them. A drop in the mouth, and massage it on their beaks, waddle and combs. I also put some under their wings so it would work like a Vicks vapor rub for chickens. Good luck.

Nevermind I went to look through your other threads. Did you get something that will actually kill the lice and mites or are you still using Poultry Protector?

Did you stop feeding treats?
Today i got permethrin 10 and ivermectin pour on. Idk if i should dip them with the permethrin then add a few drops of the ivermectin under the wings and near the vent. or just do one or the other.

Do you have a photo of the bloody poop? If not, you can look on here for pics of intestinal lining, sorry I am not good with links. If it were me, I would continue the Corid for a couple more days. Do not give nutridrench during Corid treatment or any other vitamin supplement. Corid works by suppressing the B vitamins that the coccidia need to survive and supplements negate that.On a side note, please don't say cocci when you mean coccidia, cocci is a bacteria and coccidia is a parasite. Worming probably won't hurt
I had no idea about the cocci i thought it was just an abbreviation — whoops!

Anyway, today would be day 5 of the corid treatment.

and, no pics of the bloody poop.
I don’t think she has it. According to everything I’ve read about it she would have been dead already cause she’s been this way since June and still loves to eat and drink. She just has no energy, squints all the time, makes this weird like barking squawk sound, and her head shakes sometimes. Idk what to do for her I’m grasping at straws basically. :(

Also, it seems like she’s lost weight since being on Corid.

Last edited:
I had no idea about the cocci i thought it was just an abbreviation — whoops!

Anyway, today would be day 5 of the corid treatment.

and, no pics of the bloody poop.
I don’t think she has it. According to everything I’ve read about it she would have been dead already cause she’s been this way since June and still loves to eat and drink. She just has no energy, squints all the time, makes this weird like barking squawk sound, and her head shakes sometimes. Idk what to do for her I’m grasping at straws basically. :(

Also, it seems like she’s lost weight since being on Corid.
Please don't feel bad about the cocci thing,it seems every one on here does it. I'm just trying to educate. At this point, worming her is worth trying. Offer her some healthy treat like soaked food to encourage eating. If you're going to stop the Corid then by all means give the nutidrench. Good luck with her.

Back
Top Bottom