Do my chicks need grits?

Smileygem

In the Brooder
Jun 6, 2016
UK
I have 2 four week old chicks who are currently living inside with about an hour in a run on the grass a day allowing them to meet my older hen. They're on chick crumbs with the odd meal worm etc. Do they need grits as well?ive heard people on here talk of chick grit but I can't find anywhere that sells it. If I give them normal grit will they just pick out the small bits they need and leave the bigger bits and the soluble grits which I think are harmful for them?

starter will be just fine

there's no need to feed them any grit

you can start when they are 8 weeks or so as you switched over to grower feed (if available)

but if they are free ranging.. there's no reason to feed grit..

personally.. don't waste your money on grits or oyster shell if your chickens do not need them

i know people care alot about their chickens.. but stay within budget don't buy things that they don't really need

Thanks, I won't worry about it then! Now to just keep on slowly introducing them to my hen.

Birds just eating starter feed don't have to have grit, but it is a good idea. By 4 or 5 weeks, they're ready for #2 grit and adult (#3) grit by about 8-10 weeks. Grit helps to develop the gizzard. Grit is cheap and best to provide.
I think the reason most don't carry chick grit is because it is only fed a short period of time and isn't essential if one is only feeding starter feed. (the grains are already ground)

I've got a bunch of chicks that are 17 days old. I've had them for about 2 weeks, and started giving them chick grit about a week ago. The reason being was that I was starting to feed them dandelions, and plantain. Then I have given them some spinach and cabbage leaves as well. So if your birds are eating more than the chick starter, give them grit.

Back
Top Bottom