Do my chicks need the heat lamp today?

britinpa

Songster
Jun 22, 2020
Central Pennsylvania
Hi all! I'm new here. We bought 8 chicks (black Asian) just over 2 weeks ago (they were a day old when we got them). They're our first ever, so we're just learning. They're brooder box is in our garage and temps are pretty warm here today (will be around 90) - I have one of the main garage doors open (not the side they are on) for air, but was wondering whether the heat lamp is needed on days like today. I also have the smallest Brinsea brooder plate in the box, but not all 8 of them could fit under there now. We haven't had a thermometer in their box since we got them.

Attachments

• chicks.jpg
    chicks.jpg
    154.5 KB · Views: 11
When it was that hot with our chicks, we didn’t put them under the heat lamp!! If it’s that hot out, I’m sure they’ll be fine without it!!

They should be fine. The only thing of concern would be a sudden change in ambient temperature due to a thunderstorm that cools the air quickly. But the garage door could be shut in that instance.

I will turn the lamp off today and see how they do. Since I got that brooder plate I've been unsure how high to put it. They were in a plastic tote for the first week or so, and when they were smaller they used it quite a bit. Now they are in the big box I have used both heat sources and they haven't really used the brooder plate too much. I have raised it slightly a couple of times, but will raise it some more now. Thanks so much for your reply @RobertaD1

Im trying to remember how high mine was at 2 weeks.... Im thinking that the front was maybe 3-4 inches high and the back was maybe 2. That way they can decide where they want to be placed under and how warm they wanted to be. My chicks were completely done with it at about 3 1/2 weeks... only used it for security (to hide under) from the older girls.... I brood in the coop. But, go ahead and put the lamp away... with the plate, you dont need it.

I guess I should say they did use the plate at night... the nights would still get cooler.... but I took it completely out of my brooder box at 4 1/2 weeks. They were feathered out by then.

Back
Top Bottom