Do my ducklings have issues..........?

DUCKGIRL89

Songster
8 Years
Apr 28, 2011
TN
They turned 4 weeks.old on wednesday, and aren't starting to get their big duck feathers?! Could it be because they are from show stock? Came from TSQ order from holderread. They keep growing, just kinda worry some I think. Are they like defective...?! Please someone tell me this is normal! :fl

What breed are they? Different breeds grow at different paces. My Pekin grew super fast and was fully feathered by 4 weeks but my Rouen mix is 4 weeks old and is still all fuzzy.

5.welsh harlequins. 1 appleyard. 1 runner. & 2 silkies (ducks)
As far as I'm aware each breed is different with the pace in which their feathers grow in. Some take a few weeks white other take 8 to 10 weeks. I'm not sure about silkies or welsh harlequins but the runner should start anytime now and the appleyard not to far behind it.

your WH will start feathering up any day now. btw 5 and 7 weeks, they grow them really fast.

Keep an eye on their legs. I noticed at about 4 weeks, the niacin in my feed wasn't enough anymore, so I had to add extra niacin to the feed every morning to get rid of the leg trembles and beginnings of pigeon toe. Also, if you haven't cut their protein down to 16% yet, now's the time to do it, before their wing feathers start coming in in earnest.

Feed is Crushed 16% layer feed. And I looked today, and found small TINY feathers coming on their backs under the fuzz. So hopfully they come in faster now. The silkies haven't started yet, abut underneath all the fuzz, is tiny feathers on all of them but the silkies.

Has anyone received a duckling from holderread that didn't grow right? I had a male from that never grew and stayed the same size as the silkies. Didn't walk around much, and was always a loner. Passed away last night. Wasn't holding out for him. Every duckling I have that stays small like that never makes it. I had one make it to 2 months, then got really sick, and passed away. I miss that baby.

But I was kinda upset I received a defective one... He was $8.50
hmm.png

What is pigeon toe???

Pigeon toe is toes turned in.

Any breeder can have off spring pop up that have a genetic defect. They can range from moderate to severe and there is no controlling it. It can happen to anone and just because you bought from breeder X doesn't guarantee you won't end up with every bird you purchased not being worth breeding, or a possible "off" bird.

To create breeding pairs and trios you should be buying and growing out 10 birds for every 1 bird you want to use for breeding. (this is just an average) buying from labeled TSQ lines means nothing in the end if the off spring aren't worth breeding, and yes even TSQ will throw pet quality off spring.

I am not expecting every bird to be perfect... Really I'm not. but I can be slightly upset that I have a defective bird. Who wouldn't be? There's nothing I can do about, no. But Slightly disappointed I am.

As for the quality for the breeding of the bird, I hope to get at least a worth while hen, or a pair or something. And plan to get 15 more TSQ Welsh next year. Hope for a couple more hens and a another drake. Have a nice looking pair right now, and want to keep a couple girls from them this year and breed them to a Holderread drake in spring.

I've seen variations in feathering out even between birds of the same species. We have some 6 week old mallards and a 4 week old mallard at the lake that are just about identical in how much they've feathered out. I've also seen Pekins at 4 weeks that are just about as feathered as a mallard at 2 weeks. Someone once said that ducks that are kept outside or at cooler temperatures tend to feather out faster. However, I don't want to encourage people to put ducklings out in the cold or without a heat lamp, it's just something I've heard.

I've seen variations in feathering out even between birds of the same species. We have some 6 week old mallards and a 4 week old mallard at the lake that are just about identical in how much they've feathered out. I've also seen Pekins at 4 weeks that are just about as feathered as a mallard at 2 weeks. Someone once said that ducks that are kept outside or at cooler temperatures tend to feather out faster. However, I don't want to encourage people to put ducklings out in the cold or without a heat lamp, it's just something I've heard.
Mine are outside in a cage on the ground during the day, with shade, food, and water. And I see little feathers growing. Hopfully they start the sides soon! They got me all worried!

Back
Top Bottom