Do my ducks need their own coop?

luvmyEs

Songster
8 Years
Dec 9, 2011
North Carolina
This has been going on for weeks now and we are fed up! Our 3 ducks will not go in the coop at night. They sit together in the middle of the yard and we have to catch them. We only have to catch one and the other will follow into the coop. They share the coop with my 13 chickens. I know the ducks aren't fond of the chickens because I see them chasing the chickens if they get too close. Do they need separate sleeping quarters?

This has been going on for weeks now and we are fed up! Our 3 ducks will not go in the coop at night. They sit together in the middle of the yard and we have to catch them. We only have to catch one and the other will follow into the coop. They share the coop with my 13 chickens. I know the ducks aren't fond of the chickens because I see them chasing the chickens if they get too close. Do they need separate sleeping quarters?
Sounds like you've answered your own question. Most ducks prefer their own quarters, mine would hate to sleep with the chickens. and I commend you for catching them and making sure they are safe for the night.

I agree, sounds like they telling you exactly what they think lol I do not house my chickens and ducks together, they have such different needs.

Last edited:
Housing three ducks is super easy. you can even find wood dog houses on craigs list and add a door to them and some side ventilation. Have fun building them a house, or converting something for them. Remember anytime you make a change it will take them a few days to a week to get use to it. After that they should want to goto bed for you.

I got 4 ducks about a month ago got them their own coop and they just go into the chicken coop and sleep on the ground while the chickens roost. So they will just let you know what they want to do.

Our chickens and ducks free range during the day, and share the coop at night. The ducks actually go sleep in the bottom nesting boxes, and are quite happy there. And they very rarely go in at night without being coaxed. They'd much rather sleep out in the middle of the pond, which might be safe in a wild situation, but I have a small manmade pond and a neighborhood of raccoons. But they are so used to me herding them in at night that all I have to do is go out with my flashlight and say, "Time for bed, guys!" and they get out of the pond and make their way (slowly) to the coop. It still takes coaxing, though. They are most definitely not chickens and don't act like them!

Mine have their own pen and shelter, but prefer to sleep with the chickens. I agree, it sounds like they are telling you they don't want to :p I agree with Celtic Oaks Farm...converted dog houses or plastic crates work great. Mine will only sleep in theirs if a chicken goes in there with them. I think my ducks are just...odd
big_smile.png
I LOVE them though. So much personality.

Back
Top Bottom