Do nest boxes need to be low in the coop? Design help!!

keeko

Songster
10 Years
Dec 22, 2009
Asheville, NC
Hi all!

I'm still very new to this, so I'm just in the stages of designing/buying/finding a coop...

Among all the considerations, I was looking at this design by a local man who builds coops in GA. His design appears chicken-friendly, but like I said - I'm still getting the hang of this!

My main concern was the height of the nest boxes; it looks like the hens would have to fly up to a perch to get to them. Is it too far? Will such a feat discourage them from laying more eggs? Also, as they get older, will they be further discouraged from laying?

What do you guys think of the wire/mesh bottom? Easy to clean, or tough on chicken feet?

Any other thoughts or help on this design would be greatly appreciated!!

http://www.cockadoodlecoops.com/cooppics.htm

Heres my issue with them. The roosts are level with the nests so the chickes will probably sleep in the nests. Nests need to be lower or the roosts higher, ether would work fine. Also that coop should hold 6 to 8 hens. They only need 2 nests not 8.

My wife and I lived in Waynesville for a couple of years, so I know it can/will get cold in Asheville. If you go with that design, definitely make covers for most of the vents and floor for the winter months. You could probably do without insulation, but definitely work on drafts.
Scott

Rebel cowboys and Scott both make good points. I would go with a wooden floor with linoleum over it. Does not store odors nor provide bacteria a place to grow. The coops pictured have too many nests for their size. One side should have a roost on it and it should be higher than the nest or the chooks will sleep in the nests and fill them with poop. For ease of coop mtc, have a poop plank 24" wide and roost 12" away from wall. Make the plank equal in length to the roost and make it of OSB with linoleum over that. Clean it daily
sickbyc.gif
and your litter will last a year. Make ventilation full time at top of coop soffit or gable ends. Allow 1 sq ft for each 4 birds that is full-time, never-closed ventilation and have at least two windows that can be opened or closed according to weather. For as small a coop as you are looking at, could be a hinged roof would be just the thing for cleaning access?
cool.png

Back
Top Bottom