do non-laying hens sing the "egg song" at all?

technodoll

Songster
10 Years
Aug 25, 2009
Quebec, Canada
I could have sworn I saw a thread on this somewhere but I can't find it, so apologies for the repetitive question...

Yesterday afternoon I saw my little 7-month old silkie pullet sing the egg song at the top of her lungs, she just stopped her free-ranging and just belted it out for about 3 minutes.

Does this mean she is laying??

We only get eggs in the morning and most are quite large, however the past week I've gotten a small beige egg in the lot...

I thought silkies lay white eggs?

Input appreciated, thanks!!
D.gif

I thought they lay white eggs too, but you may get one that lays an off color. It's common in other breeds as well.

However for your question, hens do the cackling noise sometimes when there is danger such as a hawk or something they do not like. They make the "song" when they lay an egg/pre laying/post laying and when they are nervous.

They make the "song" when they lay an egg/pre laying/post laying and when they are nervous.

If it was a post-laying song, she sang a good six hours later! Is this possible or common?

She didn't seem nervous at all... going in and out of the run to free-range, ambling along with her buddies... so weird.​

I'm still not clear on the consensus...

Do non-laying hens still do the famous egg song?

I wish I knew if this little silkie was laying or not!
hu.gif

Quote:
I am sorry I wish I could have been some help. The only way I knew mine was ready was because her comb, face and wattles turned very red (like everyone told me they would). If your girl has the red (and its really red) then she probably is laying somewhere. I never got a song from mine.

Last edited:
My pullets just started laying 5 days ago. I've only had 3 lay...when they came outside they started singing like crazy and everybody joined in.....so yes, they'll sing the song without laying.
wee.gif

I would think they can and will...my Rooster sometimes cackles as if in song and he doesn't lay anything.

Back
Top Bottom