1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Do not disturb?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bamachicks8, Jan 26, 2013.

1. bamachicks8

bamachicks8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Chickens like to sleep at night right? Well I leave in the morning between 515 and 6 depending on what day of the week it is and get home around 630 every night so during the winter months it's dark should I have my dh gather eggs feed water love(ok so he isn't likely to do this one) etc those nights or will they not care that I'm disturbing them after there bed time will they be more cranky or just happy to have the attention

2. TallChickMagnet

TallChickMagnet Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2012
    Jurupa Valley, CA
    I go in my chicken pen about once or twice a month at night. They don't even move. They are up on the roost. I take the eggs from the box using a flashlight. Sometimes I even use the flashlight to count then at night every once in a while if I heard a noise or something like that. That seems to be fine with it. Once my wife even petted a few at night. Once they are down it is hard to get them up against their will, just like getting my sons up for school in the morning, it takes effort.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 26, 2013
  3. bamachicks8

bamachicks8 Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a 5 yr old in kindergarten I know that feeling very well of course she is up at 630 on the weekends go figure

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by