Do not give up on an injured duck!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by frenchbet, Dec 7, 2015.

1. frenchbet

frenchbet Out Of The Brooder

Dec 3, 2015
    Last week one of my then 5 week olf Khaki Campbell ducks was injured in a stampede when they were frightened. I saw it happen and as soon as was over one was unable to walk. She could only walk on her elbows/hocks. I was devastated. No obvious external injuries etc. i did a lot of research on the internet hoping to find someone else who had had this happen to see what her prognosis might be. I felt it was probably a nerve injury. I saw no improvement for a week and I was so worried she would never improve and I was so aftaid she would get skin breakdown on her hocks with how she was walking. I was willing to give her time, but wasn't going to let her suffer. I kept her with the flock to help reduce the stress of being seperated. They were kind to her as if they knew. She had a sled now for her pool because she couldn't get in the bigger pool. She was so happy to be able to be in the water. Yesterday I saw her stand with her legs straight and walk several steps! I was shocked and so excited. Today she was walking much more. She is by no means fully recovered, but hopefully on her way. I couldn't stand the thought of putting her down and thought hopefully with time she will show improvement. I cried when she was first injured and today I cried when she was walking. I was just so relieved. It's been a stressful week. So please, if you have an injured duck give them some time to heal if possible. They really are amazing and resilient.

1 person likes this.
  2. User353335

User353335 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2015
    I'm so happy your duck is feeling better, and I couldn't agree more. Ducks are resilient creatures; it's amazing what these tiny little birds can withstand!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2015
  3. User353335

User353335 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2015
    PS: Welcome to the forums!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2015
  4. frenchbet

frenchbet Out Of The Brooder

Dec 3, 2015
    Thank you and I'm thankful to have a forum where people can share info. It's a wonderful thing!

5. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Glad you are spreading the word! Ducks can recover, given some time and the right treatment.

6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    [​IMG] Great news!!

Welcome to BYC @frenchbet

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by