DO NOT order from grow a frog

chickenlittle21

There's a piggy in the pasture
Aug 22, 2019
Martin county, Florida
Grow a frog is a Florida based marketing company. They sell grow a frog kits which consists of a tadpole, tadpole food, a guide book, blue sand, and a small plastic tank. I thought it would be fun to try. The first tadpole that I got was dead. I called them and they were real nice about it and they said they would ship me another one right away. 6-7 months later another tadpole arrived. This one was healthy. I didn't put him/her in that tiny little 1/2 to 3/4 gallon plastic tank, instead I put him/her in a slightly bigger 2-2 1/2 gallon tank that I had. He/she grew into a frog and a moved him/her to a 10 gallon tank with a filter that had a healthy female betta fish and 4 scissortail rasboras. A few days later the betta fish died. I soon found out that the frog was an invasive species called an African clawed frog and was illegal to own without a permit in 11 states (luckily not in my state, Florida, so I'm not going to jail) and my betta fish most likely died from the frogs skin toxins. I quickly moved the frog back to its previous tank.

What bothers me is that the grow a frog company knows that they are distributing invasive frogs around the country. They also state in the manual that the frog will get "around the size of a half dollar". I did some research and found out that it will get up to five inches or about the size of your palm.

I'm also concerned about the welfare of the frogs. The tank they send the frog in, as a previously stated, is extremely small, like a tiny plastic prison. The "bigger" tanks they advertise also look extremely tiny. It also says nothing of how they keep their frogs that they breed and I couldn't even find a picture online so I assume that they are kept in tiny little tanks also.

It says online on the grow a frog website that they could send me a "breathable bag" and I could ship my frog back for free but what would they do with the frog? Breed it? Kill it? Just keep it in a tiny plastic prison? He supposedly gets lonely but I'm not going to buy another invasive frog just so another invasive frog isn't lonely.

Just DONT buy from grow a frog.

That’s all we need, more invasive animals in Fl. We already have Cuban tree frogs everywhere which are invasive. I love African clawed frogs and would love to have one because I know how to care for a frog and not release it. But a lot of people are going to let them go. I really hope this place gets shut down.

Ugh, what a terrible idea. If people want to "grow a frog" they can come steal one from my yard - someone thought it'd be a great idea to raise bullfrogs (invasive of course :p) in the pond and we have plenty of descendants running around. The frogs stupidly come and sit on the driveway and wait to be run over.

Ugh, what a terrible idea. If people want to "grow a frog" they can come steal one from my yard - someone thought it'd be a great idea to raise bullfrogs (invasive of course :p) in the pond and we have plenty of descendants running around. The frogs stupidly come and sit on the driveway and wait to be run over.
I wish you lived closer to me. I would love to have some bullfrogs.

I soon found out that the frog was an invasive species called an African clawed frog and was illegal to own without a permit in 11 states (luckily not in my state, Florida, so I'm not going to jail) and my betta fish most likely died from the frogs skin toxins. I quickly moved the frog back to its previous tank.

This is not exactly correct. African Clawed frogs do get very large; however it is highly unlikely that "the toxins in its skin" killed your Betta. Frogs like most larger animals produce a lot of waste. It is much more probable that an ammonia spike caused by the frog's waste or over-feeding caused the betta to die. Or the frog attempted to eat it. It is generally a good practice to not put clawed frogs into habitats with anything even remotely close to the size of their mouth as they will eat it. African Dwarf frogs are much more suitable for mixed species aquariums. Additionally, if you're running carbon (activated charcoal) in your filter, the charcoal absorbs chemicals (and toxins) from the water which is why it is removed when medicating fish as it absorbs/neutralizes the medication. I would advise setting up a 10 gallon tank at minimum for the Clawed Frog in the future. Most aquarium stores sell Clawed Frogs, so as long as you don't plan on releasing them into the wild, you can absolutely purchase another one. Keep in mind the frogs should be similar in size as they will try to eat a smaller frog. Also adult males are smaller than females and breeding in home aquaria is practically unheard of as the frogs have to be stimulated with hormones in order to stimulate them sufficiently to breed.

No offense but you should of did research before buying it's not the sellers fault they did what they were suppose to...sell a frog kit

Back
Top Bottom